NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1011348900

Subject: FW: "Puerperal Fever"?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:16:20 -0000

I'm not a medic but I work in a library which teaches medical subjects and -
yes - you're quite correct. Puerperal fever was often contracted by a
newly-delivered mother, particularly where the delivery was in a hospital -
these places were hotbeds of infection. At the risk of being pedantic and an
old bore, "puer" is the Latin for "boy", with puerperal taking its
derivation from infection through childbirth.

Regards,

Mike Ainscough