NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1011394246

From: Charlotte Edwards <>
Subject: Re: Digest version, snipping/Saving your fellow listers time
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:51:25 -0800

Colin wrote:

> Subject: Norfolk list - Digest version - or make your life easier, Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:58:34 +0000

> From: Colin Fenn <>
>
> With the amount of chatter that goes on here you will then get about 3
> or 4 digest mails per day. <snip> [Note to fellow digest subscribers - I still think 3-4 messages are too
> many - a while ago I asked Mark if its possible to cut that down to just
> 1 or 2 per day - but he basically said "tough", I was the only one wanting this.

I don't mind 3-4 digests a day, but most of the time they contain a lot of data that could be <snipped>.

For example, in Digest # 121:
the first email is a reply and it includes 3 other entire messages.
the second email is a reply to the first so it includes 4 other entire messages (that everyone on the list has already read or scrolled through).
the third email includes a snip but then at the bottom puts the complete message that is being replied to.

So if we each take the time to snip before we send, we save everyone else time and either the digests will be smaller or less frequent (depending if the cutoff is number of messages or size). The archives will also be faster to search and browse since they will be smaller.

I also think that putting all a huge list of surnames in every message defeats the purpose of being able to search the archives and that the "incoming and outgoing mail is certified virus free are meaningless footers" and their only purpose is to eat up disk space in the archives. This is my 2 cents worth!

But I thoroughly enjoy all the good information that is exchanged on this list and have learned a lot about Norfolk - which is where my gt grandparents lived.

Charlotte Edwards
Vancouver, B.C.

This thread: