NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1012038619

From: "kenneth.stanford" <>
Subject: Fairground People
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:50:19 +0000

Larry

The following site covers circus, theatres and music hall families.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~paulln/index.htm

I am also interested in a HIGH family from Blofield. Edward Samuel
STANFORD, who was the brother of my great grandfather, married Hannah
Matilda HIGH in 1887, both Edward and Hannah were born in Blofield. Her
parents were Samuel and Betsey HIGH, Samuel's occupation is given as
farmer on Hannah's marriage certificate. The 1881 census index has an
error in the entry for the head of the High family at 4 Highs Lane,
Blofield. Instead of Samuel's name appearing the name above has been
repeated, however where Samuel's entry should have appeared, under
Occupation is entered Steam Circus +. Also in the 1881 census index
Hannah's sister Eliza is shown as the wife of Richard HARVEY living in
Felthorpe, Richard's occupation is given as Traveller Wit+. Two more
sisters of Hannah, Georgianna and Florence are also shown as living with
the Harveys. Again in 1881 Hannah is living with another sister Augusta
DUFFIELD and her husband Alfred in Frenze. Alfred's occupation is given
as Travelling St+.

Are these the same HIGHs that you are interested in, the references to
steam circus and traveller has puzzled me?

You can view my family tree at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kenneth.stanford

Regards

Ken Stanford