NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1012161709

Subject: New subscriber - Downing, Green, Aldridge, Ingram in Diss area.
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:01:49 EST

I am researching the ancestors of Thomas Downing, my 3rd great grandfather,
born in Roydon, Diss 1793. His wife, Eve Green, came from Fersfield. His
parents were George Downing and Mary Aldridge from Diss, married Roydon Sept
19 1788. George's parents were George Downing and Susanna Ingram married in
Diss June 16 1762.
I have the Diss parish registers, and have assembled an impresive array of
Downing families going back centuries, but cannot fit them together
precisely, and have not found the origin of my earliest George.
My branch of the Downings went to Durham as two of Thomas' sons went there to
become minerss. Eventually my late father went from there to work in Norwich,
where I was born, but we never knew of the Norfolk connection until a year
ago. I now live in Hampshire.
About 18 months ago, "Evanie" corresponded with this list, looking for
anybody interested in Downings from the Guiltcross area. I have tried to
contact her, but her e-mail address then given is now invalid. Are you out
there, Evanie?
Adrian Abbott.

This thread: