NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2002-01 > 1012230710

From: "Potter" <>
Subject: Wages
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:47:20 -0500

Hi,
The following may be of interest.
Part of a letter from Calthorpe, Norfolk, to Niagara, Canada, 11 Oct 1865 ;
"May God bless me and my family though I have a sad trial to get along for I have six children now and not one ern a penny and I gets nine shillings per week".
He probably made a little more as he was the Parish Clerk.

Also, my 3xg.gf. was Porter of the Guiltcross Union Workhouse from 1837 - 1848, & during that time
the combined wages for him & his wife (who was cook & matron's assistant) was 8 shillings per week plus two shillings per week beer money. In addition they were provided with the Porter's Lodge, & food.

Hope this is of use.
Regards, Vic

This thread: