NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2003-08 > 1061678791

From: "Paul Manning" <>
Subject: The Norfolk Chronicle and Norwich Gazette
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:46:40 +0100

I have in my possession an edition of this newspaper published January 11th
1902.

A precis of its contents is as follows - please contact me for any further
information.

Page 1 (All adverts)

Edward Holmes, watchmaker, jeweller and silversmith, 17 St Giles Street,
Norwich

Howes and Sons, Coach Harness and Saddlery Manufacturers (carrying on the
business of the late Messrs Jolly and Sons), Chapel Field, Norwich

Henry Flint, Cast off clothings, St Martins Lane, Birmingham

Artificial Teeth at W T Dawson's (chemist) 74 and 76 Prince of Wales Road,
Norwich

Norwich Mutual Loan Fund Society, 17 Pottergate Street, Norwich; Henry
Robertson, President; Mr B J H Salmon, Treasurer; Committee: E J Causton,
Henry Flowers, F W Frewer, D G Gaul, G H Olley and Henry Rodwell; Secretary,
J B Chiddick

James Watson's Invaluable Cough Pills, Rose Corner, Norwich

Johnson, Burton and Theobald of Norwich for Church lighting

Garland and Sons, The Drapery Emporium, London Street, Norwich

I W Caley and Co, Norwich

Barnard, Bishop and Barnards Ltd, Norfolk Iron Works, Coslany Street,
Norwich

Chas. Dennes, Unlimited Furniture Stock, 17 & 19 St John's Maddermarket

Thomas Moy Ltd, coal, coke and General Merchants, "Camperdown" Chapelfield
road and 97 Queens Road

Walter Alfred Reeve, Upholsterer, 43 St Giles Street, Norwich

Birds Botanic Essence, Bird and Storey, 12 Castle Street East, Oxford Street

Boots Cash Chemists, 38 London Street; Briggs Street; 6 Goat Lane, 22
Magdalen Street

Roche's Herbal Embrocation

London and Provincial Furnishing Co, 31 St Stephens Street Norwich (late
Lovett)

Dr Matthews Liver and Stomach Pills; Pectoral Elixir; Anaemia Mixture and
Wind Drops sold by all chemists and Medicine vendors: Clowes Stores;
Steward and sons, Market Place; and Shearman, King Street, Great Yarmouth

E J Wigg, Jobmaster and Funeral Carriage Proprietor, 17 Cattle Market
Street, Norwich

George Smith's, Poultry Laying Meal, Tram Centre, Orford Place, Norwich

Page 2 - Mainly National News, but...

Norfolk and Norwich "Notes and Queries"

(407) A farmer near Loddon assured me recently that it was a firm belief in
the district that snails either made into a soup or boiled in milk was a
sure cure for consumption. W. B. Gerish

(408) Public Hiring of Servants - Statute fairs or "mops" have been dealt
with in these "Notes and Queries" but I think it is hardly realised within
the last quarter of a century something very much akin to the old custom
prevailed at Lynn. I read in a newspaper cutting, dated October 25th, 1878:
"On Tuesday last the streets of Lynn were thronged from early morn till dewy
eve with servants seeking fresh places and devoting their energies to the
enjoyment of the usual Michaelmas frolic. It is estimated that no less
than three thousand of this class, comprising grooms, gardeners, teammen,
cooks, nurses, house, kitchen scullery and a host of other maids, were in
the town during the day. The railway companies found it to their advantage,
for their trains were all heavily laden, over 2000 passengers arrived at
Lynn station, of whom 1500 came by the Great Eastern and 500 by the Midland.
For domestic servants the stipends asked were considerably in advance of
those of any preceding year, and the proviso was generally insisted upon
that they were to have limited liabilities, short hours, and every comfort
in their apartments. Many an old housekeeper has contrived to do without
the "necessary evil", but others who could not conveniently do so, were
compelled to give the increased rates" The custom of men "standing in the
market" to be "hired" is of very ancient origin, but I suppose the only
present-day survival in Norwich is in the case of drovers on the
Castle-meadow on Saturday, and of city messengers on the Walk every day in
the week. Cabmen would hardly come within the meaning of the expression. -
ILEX

(409) OLD NORFOLK SONG - I heard the following excellent old song well sung
in character at a recent farmers' dinner in Norfolk and by the courtesy of
the singer and a friend am enabled to send it to you. If anyone hears any
similar songs I would suggest he should send them to you to preserve in
type:-

I once was never satisfied
With how the cash was laid out,
I thought for once I would provide
To see how it was paid out;
for money goes so precious fast,
It almost drove me raving:
I said to my wife, "Dear Julia,
Let us both try for saving."

Chorus-
My wife did chaff, the boys did laugh,
The neighbours all did lark it;
and with my basket on my arm,
I toddled off to market.

When scarce I had got down the street,
When up came neighbour Canny;
He said, "It is your turn to treat,
Come, spend your market penny."
Away we toddled to the Crown,
For drinks I did feel craving;
At skittles I lost half a crown.
Look, what a precious saving.

Chorus-
My wife did chaff, &c.

When they found the beer and ale
Had got into my noddle,
They pinned a dish-cloth to my tail,
and called me Molly coddle.
As down the street I tried to pass,
I got tripped on the paving,
I fell backwards on a box of eggs.
Look, what a precious saving.

Chorus-
My wife did chaff, &c.

A butcher's shop I next went to,
To buy a pound of bacon;
And hoped misfortune there would end,
But I found myself mistaken,
For the butcher being a sly old rough,
Must have a heart quite stony,
To sell me that for tender meat,
He knew was tough and bony.
And to his trips I being strange,
To all his tricks and cavings;
He forgot to give me back my change.
Look, what a precious saving.

Chorus-
My wife did chaff, &c.

A grocer's shop I next went in,
And there another shock met;
A man came in and collared me,
And said I'd picked his pocket.
The police came in the cause to learn,
And took me to the station, the next day being Sunday,
So would not let me change my clothes
Till twelve o'clock on Monday.
The men of strife, through all your life,
To all these tricks and cavings:
If you take the shopping from your wife,
you will lose instead of saving.

Chorus-
For your wife will laugh,
And the boys will chaff,
And the neighbours all will lark it;
So you may take your basket on your arm,
And toddle off to market

-WALTER RYE

Also reports on the following organisations:
Norwich Diocesan Deaf and Dumb Mission
Swaffham Coursing Club

Also a presentation to the Rector of Mulbarton, Rev. John Carleton Steward

More to follow

Regards,
Paul

This thread: