NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2011-01 > 1294112477

From: Ruth Burkholder <>
Subject: [NFK] Cockaday family
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:41:17 -0500

I have been searching through the census and birth records for the family of John Cockaday who was born in Corfu about 1833. He appears to have children born between 1850 and 1866 according to family trees on Ancestry. However, he appears to have married in 1870, and in 1871 is listed thusly in Norwich, Norfolk:

John Cockaday
40

Mary Cockaday
40

Charlotte Cockaday
20

Sarah Ann Cockaday
16

Jane Cockaday
12

Catherine Cockaday
7

Mary Ann Cockaday
5

On looking at the Chelsea Pensioners lists on Ancestry, I see that there are two John Cockaday records that could be father and son. The elder John is born about 1807 in "Pockshorp, Norwich" according to the 1851 census of Rochester Kent, where he is listed as the Warder of the Military Prison Fort Clarence ...

John Cockaday
44

May Cockaday
35

Ann M Cockaday
16

Spedeon Cockaday [Gideon]
11

James Cockaday
4

Charlotte Cockaday
1

It appears, on occasion, that these two families are blended into one ... but I am having even greater difficulties ...

There is an 1870 marriage in the June qtr of FreeBMD that shows John Cockaday marrying in Norwich [vol 4b pg 257], and the logical choice here is Mary Ann Cockaday, as John is married to a Mary in 1871. Did he marry his cousin? Surely not his mother or stepmother?

There is the death of a Mary Cockaday in the Jun qtr of 1903 in Norwich. She is 77. I believe she is wiife of 1833John. ... but who is the mother of all the children in the 1871 census, if they married in 1870?

There is also a death of Mary Cockaday in SepQ1853 in Medway [vol 2a pg 160] ... and this is likely the wife of 1807John, as that is where they were living in the 1851 census.

So who is the Mary Cockaday who died in Norwich MarQ1856 [vol 4b pg 75]? Is she first wife of 1833John?

I know that both these Johns show up in the military / Chelsea Pensioner records on FindMyPast. There is both a John and an Ann in the Ionian Birth records .... I had hoped for a marriage in the same records for both of them, but don't think I found one.

I would love to hear from any one else searching this family ... or from someone who can help me clear up some of my concerns.

Ruth in Canada

This thread: