NORFOLK-L Archives

Archiver > NORFOLK > 2012-06 > 1339868958

From: "Peter J Richardson" <>
Subject: Re: [NFK] Norfolk (and Suffolk) marriage licence records - new guide
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:49:18 +0100

Hello David,

Coincidently I was in Norwich today and I came across a computer index
"Suffolk people in NCC bonds 1754-1802" so I thought this might halp me find
the marriage of William and Mary SHERMAN of Occold (known children Mary chr
1773 and Maria chr 1780 so marriage likely to be just prior to these dates)

I found reference to six licence bonds

SHERMAN - ARNOLD ref MLB 64
SHERMAN - CHASTON ref MLB 82
SHERMAN - CHENERY ref MLB 114
SHERMAN - DOWSON ref MLB 86
SHERMAN - ORLIBAR ref MLB 71
SHERMAN - SPOONER ref MLB 89

I assume that the second marriage refers to that of George SHERMAN and Sarah
CHASTON at Rickinghall Inferior on 22nd January 1770, and the third marriage
relates either to John Cheston SHERMAN to Mary CHENERY at Brandeston on 10th
November 1788 or to that of Sarah SHERMAN to Thomas CHENERY at Occold on
26th October 1795 (I assume more likely the former as I'd assume it is the
groom's name that comes first, but I am at a loss to understand the
reference. I believe George who married in 1770 was William's brother and
the 1788 and 1795 marriages were those of his nephews and nieces, so it
seems a good bet that the one of the other marriage could be the one that I
am looking for if only I can identify the relevant marriages.

No year is given in the print out so I wondered whether the higher the
number the closer to 1802. As I knew about the 1770 marriage already I
looked up Licence 82 in the fiche for 1770 was it was not that of George and
Sarah.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Peter