NORMAN-L Archives

Archiver > NORMAN > 2005-07 > 1121395088

From: "Gwen Boyer Bjorkman" <>
Subject: RE: [NORMAN-LIST] William Norman, Sr.
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:38:08 -0700

Hi Janice: Thanks so much for all of those good Norman records!! My line is through Susanna Norman
(dau of the first Richard Norman) who m. Robert Lockwood bef 1634 probably in Salem, MA. I guess
with Richard II we will have to settle for him being born in England or Massachusetts. I do like
the following:

Thomas E. Gray, The Founding of Marblehead, (Baltimore MD, Gateway Press, 1984) pp. 100-101
RICHARD NORMAN, a carpenter from Somerset, was born in 1580, the son of John Fryeth (alias Norman).
He came to New England in 1624 with the Dorchester Company, residing at Cape Ann. He removed to
Naumkeag in 1626 and was granted land there. He was at Marblehead before 1645, living on the Darby
Fort side. Norman could have been one of the first inhabitants of Marblehead, arriving as early as
1628/9. He purchased about 12 1/2 acres in the Plain Farm in 1645, for which he paid about 5
pounds. He was mentioned in the estate of George Pollard in 1646, stinted for one cow in 1647, and
granted land in lot #1 of the 1648/9 division of the swamp. His wife was living in 1645 and he died
in 1653. He was one of Salem's old planters and the rock at Gloucester known as Norman's Woe was
named for him.

There is then a list of the children of Richard Norman I and a separate biography of Richard Norman
II. In the first list of children, the author says: "Richard, Jr. was born between 1623 and 1628,
possibly at Salem; court depositions give conflicting ages." Then in the biography he changes the
wording slightly to: "Richard Norman, Jr. was born between 1623 and 1628, probably at Salem; court
records list conflicting ages."

Gwen Boyer Bjorkman