NORTHEY-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHEY > 2003-01 > 1043769859

From: "Gary Carruthers" <>
Subject: Re: 1861 Cornwall census CD
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 02:04:19 +1000

Hi Karen,
I have a Northey who was born in Kea, around the time of your search. Hope
it helps
Best wishes
Gary Carruthers
Australia

Birth Date: 1806
Birth Place: CORNWALL UK
Death Date: 1852
Death Place: CORNWALL

Spouse: SUSANNAH DENNIS - 355
Birth Date: 1810
Birth Place: CORNWALL UK
Death Date: 20 Sep 1887
Death Place: ROCKY RIVER URALLA NSW
Burial Date: 22 Sep 1887
Burial Place: ROCKY RIVER URALLA NSW
Occupation: HOUSEKEEPER
Spouse Father: ABRAHAM DENNIS - 373 (1768-1842)
Spouse Mother: PHILLIPA RALPH - 374 (-1855)

Spouse Notes:
Susannah, widow of Robert Northey of Cornwall sailed from Plymouth Harbour
in 1855 to join her daughter Elizabeth in Australia She was Matron aboard
the sailing ship "Sultana" & was accompanied by her eldest son James & 18
year old son William. Cost of fares was 3 pounds.

Susannah gave her address as Kie, Cornwall and her father was dead, her
mother living in Kie.

Before she sailed from Plymouth in 1855, Susannah was given a Bible by the
Minister of her Parish Church. The fly-leaf inscription is as follows:
"Mrs Northey...presented by Rev. T. Cave Childs, St Marys, Devonport, on
leaving England....1855". This bible is now in the possession of Mrs Mavis
Fenner, Old P.O. watsons Ck, NSW. (Phone 067-640132).

Susannah remarried Robert Richards, a Blacksmith in Uralla.

Spouse Religion:
WESLEYAN

Marriage Date: 21 Sep 1833
Marriage Place: Kea Cornwall UK

Children: ELIZABETH - 357
JAMES - 108
WILLIAM H. - 359

(2) 1.1 ELIZABETH NORTHEY - 357
Birth Date: 24 Sep 1833
Birth Place: CHASEWATER, TRURO, CORNWALL
Christen Place: KENWYN TRURO
Death Date: 13 Aug 1927
Death Place: WATSONS CK NSW
Burial Date: Aug 1927
Burial Place: WATSONS CK

Notes:
MIGRATED TO AUSTRALIA ON THE SHIP 'HARRIET' IN 1853, AT A COST OF ONE
POUND. COULD READ & WRITE. HER BROTHERS WILLAM & JAMES DID NOT EMBARK WITH
HER BUT REMAINED TO COME WITH THEIR MOTHER. IT APPEARS THAT THE DEATH OF
THE FATHER MAY HAVE BEEN THE REASON FOR THEM STAYING BEHIND TO ARRANGE
PASSAGE FOR MOTHER. AT THE TIME OF HER MOTHERS ARRIVAL IN 1855 ELIZABETH
WAS LIVING WITH MRS PREDDY, CASTLEREAGH ST IN SYDNEY.

Religion:
WESLEYAN

Spouse: WILLIAM SKEWES - 358
Birth Date: 22 Jan 1808
Birth Place: Curry Cornwall UK
Death Date: 1 Dec 1881
Death Place: Watsons Ck NSW
Occupation: Gold Miner

Spouse Notes:
Migrated to Australia on the sailing ship "Harriet" in 1853 according to
family heresay, where he met his wife Elizabeth. However shipping records
doe not confirm this.

William mined for gold with James & William Northey.

Marriage Date: 4 Aug 1856
Marriage Place: Lower Fort St Sydney NSW

Children: JOHN - 610
AGNES - 611
EMILY SUSAN - 1713

(2) 1.2 JAMES NORTHEY - 108
Birth Date: 11 Aug 1835
Birth Place: KEA TRURO CORNWALL
Christen Place: KEA, TRURO, CORNWALL
Death Date: 3 May 1917
Death Place: MAITLAND POINT URALLA NSW AUSTRALIA
Occupation: MINER
Education: READ & WRITE

Notes:
Emigrated to Australia with brother William & mother, Susannah, aboard the
sailing ship "Sultana", which arrived in Sydney on 18th May, 1855 after a 3
month journey.

In 1857 the family loaded all their possessions on to a horse & dray & set
out to try their luck on the Rocky River goldfields; arriving there on 17th
March, 1857.

The two brothers James & William & brother-in-law William Skewes mined for
gold in the Mt Welsh area & later on at the junction of Morse & Tourle Ck,
a trubutary of the Rocky River, now known as Wilsons Ck.

James married Mary Elizabeth Tolly & built a home about two miles downstream
from the present bridge on the Uralla, Bundarra Rd. This home was situated
on the western side of the river, on "Greylands" property, just across the
river from the farm taken up by brother-in-law, William & his sister
Elizabeth.

It was here that James had a gold claim which he worked all his life. His
claim was what was known as a "surface" claim (that is a shallow area of
washdirt on the granite, where the river had once had its course), & was
mostly worked by sluicing when sufficient water was available.

James reared his family of 11 children there. Parts of the old home still
remained in 1930-1931, together with old fruit trees, poplars & other trees,
which were still there 1950-1960. They are probably still growing.

Religion:
WESLEYAN

Spouse: MARY ELIZABETH TOLLEY - 109
Birth Date: 25 Jul 1847
Birth Place: SOUTH PETHERTON, SOMERSET, UK
Death Date: 16 Jul 1928
Death Place: URALLA NSW
Burial Date: 17 Jul 1928
Spouse Father: GILES TOLLEY - 1595 (1810-1887)
Spouse Mother: ANNE MONCKTON - 1596 (1814-1867)

Marriage Date: 24 Feb 1866
Marriage Place: Wesleyan Methodist Church Rocky River

Children: WALTER WILLIAM - 361
James Rupert - 7813
Joseph Giles - 7814
John Henry - 7815
Samuel George - 7816
Giles Thomas - 7817
Alfred Skewes - 7818
FRANCIS DENNIS - 106
Sarah Jane - 7820
Arthur - 7821
Alice M - 7822
Matilda A - 7824
Albert Edward - 7823

(2) 1.3 WILLIAM H. NORTHEY - 359
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1836
Birth Place: CORNWALL
Christen Place: KENWYN, TRURO, CORNWALL
Death Date: 19 Oct 1918
Death Place: WATSONS CK, NSW
Occupation: BLACKSMITH, GOLDMINER
Education: READ & WRITE

Notes:
The younger son, he was educated by a tutor in Cornwall. He taught his
wife how to read & write. (note she signed with an "x" on her marriage
certificate.) They lived at Mount Welsh on the Rocky River where he
operated a blacksmiths shop & mined for gold. They later moved to Watsons
Ck near Bendemeer where William & his sons took out tin mining leases.
Prior to this move William had been in partnership with his step-father,
Robert Richards, as Blacksmiths in Uralla. On arrival in Australia he
worked on the first city of Sydney sewereage scheme.

Religion:
WESLEYAN

Spouse: ELIZABETH HUTCHINSON - 360
Birth Date: 3 Sep 1849

Marriage Date: 29 Jun 1870
Marriage Place: ROCKY RIVER GOLDFIELDS (NSW)

Children: JAMES - 88
JOSEPH HUTCHINSON - 90
JOHN - 91