NORTHEY-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHEY > 2008-12 > 1230073360

From: "Gary Carruthers" <>
Subject: Re: [NORTHEY] English Northey !
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:32:40 +1030

Hi Paul & Neil,
Here are some Northeys fro Uralla area (my mothers side)
Regards
Gary Carruthers
1. NORTHEY

Spouse: MARGERY

Birth Date: 1768

Spouse Notes:

1841 census for Penstraze, Cornwall.

Children: ROBERT T

1.1 ROBERT T NORTHEY OF PENZSTACE

Birth Date: 1806

Birth Place: CORNWALL UK

Death Date: 1839

Death Place: CORNWALL

Burial Date: 12 Aug 1839

Burial Place: CHACEWATER, CORNWALL

Spouse: SUSANNAH DENNIS

Birth Date: 1810

Birth Place: CORNWALL UK

Death Date: 20 Sep 1887

Death Place: ROCKY RIVER URALLA NSW

Burial Date: 22 Sep 1887

Burial Place: ROCKY RIVER URALLA NSW

Occupation: HOUSEKEEPER

Spouse Father: ABRAHAM DENNIS (1768-1842)

Spouse Mother: PHILLIPA RALPH (1780-1858)

Spouse Notes:

Susannah & her 3 children were living with Margery Northey in the 1841
census for Penstraze, Cornwall.

1851-Transcript of Piece HO107/1910 (Part 9)

Enumeration District 1o

Civil Parish of Kenwyn, Eccl. District of St Pauls Chasewater

2,Chacewater,Susannah Northy,Head,W,,41,Grocer,Kea Cornwall,,

,,Elizabeth Northy,Dau,U,,18,Hosier,Kea Cornwall,,

,,James Northy,Son,U,16,,Miner,Kea Cornwall,,

,,Wm Northy,Son,,14,,Miner,Kea Cornwall,,

,,Margery Northy,Aunt,W,,74,Pauper,Kea Cornwall,Blind,Relationship may be
Aunt in law

Susannah, widow of Robert Northey of Cornwall sailed from Plymouth Harbour
in 1855 to join her daughter Elizabeth in Australia. She was Matron aboard
the sailing ship "Sultana" & was accompanied by her eldest son James who had
returned from Australia to accompany them & 18 year old son William and one
of his cousins. Cost of fares was 3 pounds.

Susannah gave her address as Kie, Cornwall and her father was dead, her
mother living in Kie.

Before she sailed from Plymouth in 1855, Susannah was given a Bible by the
Minister of her Parish Church. The fly-leaf inscription is as follows: "Mrs
Northey...presented by Rev. T. Cave Childs, St Marys, Devonport, on leaving
England....1855". This bible is now in the possession of Mrs Mavis Fenner,
Old P.O. watsons Ck, NSW. (Phone 067-640132).

Susannah remarried Robert Richards, a Blacksmith in Uralla.

Spouse Religion:

WESLEYAN

Marriage Date: 21 Sep 1833

Marriage Place: Kea Cornwall UK

Children: ELIZABETH

JAMES

WILLIAM H.

1.1.1 ELIZABETH NORTHEY

Birth Date: 24 Sep 1833

Birth Place: CHASEWATER, TRURO, CORNWALL

Christen Date: 1833

Christen Place: KENWYN TRURO

Death Date: 13 Aug 1927

Death Place: WATSONS CK NSW

Burial Date: Aug 1927

Burial Place: WATSONS CK

Notes:

MIGRATED TO AUSTRALIA ON THE SHIP 'HARRIET' IN 1853, AT A COST OF ONE POUND.
COULD READ & WRITE. HER BROTHER WILLAM DID NOT EMBARK WITH HER BUT REMAINED
TO COME WITH HER MOTHER. IT APPEARS THAT THE DEATH OF THE FATHER MAY HAVE
BEEN THE REASON FOR THEM STAYING BEHIND TO ARRANGE PASSAGE FOR MOTHER. AT
THE TIME OF HER MOTHERS ARRIVAL IN 1855 ELIZABETH WAS LIVING WITH MRS
PREDDY, CASTLEREAGH ST IN SYDNEY.

Religion:

WESLEYAN

Spouse: WILLIAM SKEWES

Birth Date: 22 Jan 1808

Birth Place: Curry Cornwall UK

Death Date: 1 Dec 1881

Death Place: Watsons Ck NSW

Occupation: Gold Miner

Spouse Notes:

Migrated to Australia on the sailing ship "Harriet" in 1853 according to
family heresay, where he met his wife Elizabeth. However shipping records
doe not confirm this.

William mined for gold with James & William Northey.

Marriage Date: 4 Aug 1856

Marriage Place: Lower Fort St Sydney NSW

Children: JOHN

AGNES

EMILY SUSAN

1.1.2 JAMES NORTHEY

Birth Date: 11 Aug 1835

Birth Place: KEA, TRURO CORNWALL

Christen Place: KEA, TRURO, CORNWALL

Death Date: 3 May 1917

Death Place: MAITLAND POINT URALLA NSW

Occupation: MINER

Education: READ & WRITE

Notes:

James emigrated to Australia with his elder sister Elizabeth on the Harriet
in 1853

Emigrated to Australia with brother William & mother, Susannah and a cousin,
aboard the sailing ship "Sultana", which arrived in Sydney on 18th May, 1855
after a 3 month journey.

In 1857 the family loaded all their possessions on to a horse & dray & set
out to try their luck on the Rocky River goldfields; arriving there on 17th
March, 1857.

The two brothers James & William & brother-in-law William Skewes mined for
gold in the Mt Welsh area & later on at the junction of Morse & Tourle Ck, a
tributary of the Rocky River, now known as Wilsons Ck.

James married Mary Elizabeth Tolly & built a home about two miles downstream
from the present bridge on the Uralla, Bundarra Rd. This home was situated
on the western side of the river, on "Greylands" property, just across the
river from the farm taken up by brother-in-law, William & his sister
Elizabeth.

It was here that James had a gold claim which he worked all his life. His
claim was what was known as a "surface" claim (that is a shallow area of
washdirt on the granite, where the river had once had its course), & was
mostly worked by sluicing when sufficient water was available.

James reared his family of 11 children there. Parts of the old home still
remained in 1930-1931, together with old fruit trees, poplars & other trees,
which were still there 1950-1960. They are probably still growing.

Religion:

WESLEYAN

Spouse: MARY ELIZABETH TOLLEY

Birth Date: 25 Jul 1847

Birth Place: SOUTH PETHERTON, SOMERSET, UK

Death Date: 16 Jul 1928

Death Place: URALLA NSW

Burial Date: 17 Jul 1928

Spouse Father: GILES TOLLEY (1810-1887)

Spouse Mother: ANNE MONCKTON (1814-1867)

Marriage Date: 24 Feb 1866

Marriage Place: Wesleyan Methodist Church Rocky River

Children: WALTER WILLIAM

James Robert

Joseph Giles

John Henry

Samuel George

Giles Thomas

Alfred Skewes

FRANCIS DENNIS

Sarah Jane

Arthur

Alice M

Matilda A

Albert Edward

1.1.3 WILLIAM H. NORTHEY

Birth Date: 10 Sep 1836

Birth Place: CORNWALL

Christen Place: KENWYN, TRURO, CORNWALL

Death Date: 19 Oct 1918

Death Place: WATSONS CK, NSW

Occupation: BLACKSMITH, GOLDMINER

Education: READ & WRITE

Notes:

William arrived at Sydney Australia on the Sultana in 1855 together with his
mother, his cousin and his elder brother James who had returned to Cornwall
from Australia to accompany them.

The younger son, he was educated by a tutor in Cornwall. He taught his wife
how to read & write. (note she signed with an "x" on her marriage
certificate.) They lived at Mount Welsh on the Rocky River where he operated
a blacksmiths shop & mined for gold. They later moved to Watsons Ck near
Bendemeer where William & his sons took out tin mining leases. Prior to this
move William had been in partnership with his step-father, Robert Richards,
as Blacksmiths in Uralla. On arrival in Australia he worked on the first
city of Sydney sewerage scheme.

Religion:

WESLEYAN

Spouse: ELIZABETH HUTCHINSON

Birth Date: 3 Sep 1849

Marriage Date: 29 Jun 1870

Marriage Place: ROCKY RIVER GOLDFIELDS (NSW)

Children: JAMES

JOSEPH HUTCHINSON

JOHN