NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2000-11 > 0973236235

From: "Sheila Senior" <>
Subject: Re: [NMB] Gingling Gate - Public House
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 07:23:55 -0000

I find this very interesting,my great grandmother was born in "The Jingling
Gate "at Westerhope in 1856 her father was the blacksmith & her grandmother
was the Licencee. The earliest map at Tyne & Wear Archives show it as "The
Gingling Gate".
If you look at Newburn parish records you will find it referred to as the
Jingling Gate.
I don't know how old the inn actually is & may be before the earliest map
which was in the mid to late 1700's but certainly then it was the Gingling
Gate then.
Sadly Vaux do not have any old deeds relating to the property,there may
however be something in the Duke of Northumberland's archives at Alnwick
Castle but sadly cost prevails here.
Sheila Senior