NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2001-01 > 0979890964

From: "mandy buchanan" <>
Subject: [NMB] The Origins of Bensham Grove Settlement
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:56:04 -0000

Hello everyone,
I thought that Bensham Grove Settlement was a fascinating subject too and I did my HEFC history research project on it. Theresa Spence Watson was the prime mover and shaker behind the early years of the Settlement and she was Robert Spence Watson's niece. The family's involvement other than her was to guarantee the rent of the premises for approx 5 years. If anyone is especially interested I have my project material on computer and would be happy to attempt to attach it to an email for someone, however my skills on this darned machine are not so great and it may take a couple of go s. Be warned it is not a slim document but I think that it is interesting anyway. Other information can be obtained, some at Gateshead Library, but most of the original records are now at Tyne and Wear Archives. Information on Robert Spence Watson can be found in a book published by Beamish Museum, and many other places including the Lit and Phil Society in Newcastle where he was an active member. His spirit can also be absorbed in the atmosphere of Witherspoons Pub near the Central Station in Newcastle, although it may take a couple of glasses of wine before you can actually feel it!!
Regards Mandy Buchanan

This thread: