NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2001-05 > 0989857702

From: "Neil Mearns" <>
Subject: Re: [NMB] Noble Street, North Shore, Newcastle upon Tyne
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:28:22 +0100

Steve,

Thanks very much.You've solved a mystery for me. I should have referred to Nelson Street in my original query (I don't know where I got Noble Street from!). I'm aware of the River Police Station at St. Lawrence. I believe this opened in 1874 and remained in use until 1907, when it was demolished as a result of quayside development and replaced by a temporary floating station. The Newcastle Division of the River Tyne Police moved to a new station at Pipewellgate, Gateshead in 1911(next to the Swing Bridge). It is now an Italian Restaurant.

Would there be any chance of a scanned attachment of the immediate area of the River Police Station at Nelson Street shown on your map?
If not, no problem.

Thanks again,

Neil.