NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2001-09 > 1001709822

From: "Chris Morgan" <>
Subject: Re: [NMB] MILVAIN Family
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:43:42 +0100

> Hello Listers
> Does anyone know anything about the Milvain Family who lived in the Northumberland area.
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Graham Williams

I've appended the 1881 Census details for Northumbria as they are not too numerous. If
you refer to THE Milvain family I'd assume you mean the family at North Elswick Hall,
Newcastle. There were others. I've included them as well, but edited out the fellow
boarders at the school.

In the biography of John Cameron SWAN there is a brief aside about the Milvain family,
but a fulsome page about the career of his grandson, Charles Edward Frank Milvain, b.
Newcastle 24.6.1884, only child of Harriet Frances LION by her first marriage to Charles
Edward Milvain, son of Alderman Milvain. Frank died in Egypt of wounds suffered at
Gallipolli, 25.6.1915.

In Whellan's 1854 Directory Henry Milvain was a shipowner at North Elswick Hall, and
James Milvain a draper at 8 Albion Street, Newcastle.

The name Milvain does not appear in Newcastle in Pigot's 1834 Directory of
Northumberland, Ihler's 1833 Directory of Newcastle, or Parson & White's 1827
Directory. As old Henry Milvain was apparently born in Scotland about 1807, and his wife
30 years later in Newcastle, that rather suggests his move south may have been when already adult.

Newcastle Central Library retains a copy of Hodgson's Pedigree of the Milvain's of
Newcastle and Eglingham, and a copy can be obtained at minimal cost.

I have no interest in this family, they being on the periphery of my peripheral interest in the Swan
family

Hope some of this helps.

Chris Morgan

Dwelling: North Elswick Hall
Census Place: Elswick, Northumberland, England
Source: FHL Film 1342219 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5055 Folio 162 Page 24
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Henry MILVAIN M 74 M Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Shipowner Landowner Canvas Manufacturer (Nav Mch)
Elizabeth R. MILVAIN M 44 F Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Wife
Occ: Shipowner Landowner Canvas Manufacturer Wife
Charles E. MILVAIN U 22 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Son
Occ: Solicitors Clerk
Alfred MILVAIN U 15 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar Student
Frederick MILVAIN U 11 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar Student
Herbert F. MILVAIN U 9 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar Student
Emma HARDAY U 24 F Barlow, Durham, England
Rel: Servant
Occ: Cook Servant Domestic
Mary BELL U 18 F Alston, Cumberland, England
Rel: Servant
Occ: Housemaid Servant Domestic
Isabella YOUNG U 20 F Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Servant
Occ: Launderess Servant Domestic
Jane BARKUS U 28 F Morpeth, Northumberland, England
Rel: Servant
Occ: Housemaid Servant Domestic

Dwelling: Leazes House
Census Place: Durham St Nicholas, Durham, England
Source: FHL Film 1342193 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4963 Folio 20 Page 3
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Arthur HENDERSON U 23 M Durham, Durham, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Carpet Manufacturer
Thomas MILVAIN M 36 M Newcastle
Rel: Son In Law
Occ: (Barrister At Law LLM In Practise)
Mary A. MILVAIN M 27 F Durham, England
Rel: Wife (Dau)
Henry R. MILVAIN 1 M London, London, Middlesex, England
Rel: Grandson
Catherine MACKAY U 30 F Pongue, Sunderland, Durham, England
Rel: Serv
Occ: Nurse (Domestic Serv)
Margaret MACKREE U 51 F Edinburgh
Rel: Serv
Occ: Housekeeper
Elizabeth HENDERSON U 26 F Garesfield, Durham, England
Rel: Serv
Occ: Domestic Serv
Hannah HENDERSON U 19 F Derwenthaugh, Durham, England
Rel: Serv
Occ: Domestic Serv
Ann BLACKBIRD U 18 F Newbottle, Durham, England
Rel: Serv
Occ: Domestic Serv

Dwelling: 47 Blandford St
Census Place: Westgate, Northumberland, England
Source: FHL Film 1342218 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5050 Folio 58 Page 11
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Henry MILVAIN M 34 M Newcastle
Rel: Head
Occ: Engineer (E & M)
Jemina MILVAIN M 30 F Newcastle
Rel: Wife

Dwelling: 25 Grahamsley St
Census Place: Gateshead, Durham, England
Source: FHL Film 1342214 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5037 Folio 41 Page 29
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John MILVAIN M 34 M Newcastle, Northumberland, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Engine Fitter At Works
Mary MILVAIN M 28 F Newcastle, Northumberland, England
Rel: Wife
James MILVAIN 9 F Gateshead, Durham, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Agnes MILVAIN 5 F Newcastle, Northumberland, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
John MILVAIN 1 M Gateshead, Durham, England
Rel: Son

ensus Place: Chirton, Northumberland, England
Source: FHL Film 1342226 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5077 Folio 33 Page 59
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Margaret MILVAIN W 65 F Percy Main, Northumberland, England
Rel: Head
Robert MILVAIN U 32 M Percy Main, Northumberland, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Holder Up

Dwelling: 9 Ellison Ter
Census Place: Newcastle On Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland, England
Source: FHL Film 1342220 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5059 Folio 104 Page 22
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Charles HOBKIRK M 53 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Head
Occ: House Joiner
Isabella HOBKIRK M 52 F Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Wife
Occ: Laundress
Charles BAINBRIDGE 7 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Scholar
Rignal D. JOHNSTON 2 M Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Lodger
Jane MILVAIN U 56 F Newcastle On Tyne
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Dressmaker
Mary JOBLING U 17 F Scotland
Rel: Serv
Occ: Laundress

Dwelling: 33 Cranshaw Street
Census Place: Gateshead, Durham, England
Source: FHL Film 1342214 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5038 Folio 59 Page 36
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William JACKSON M 60 M So Shields, Durham, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Seaman
Ellen JACKSON M 60 F N Shields, Northumberland, England
Rel: Wife
Elizabeth MILVAIN 9 F Felling, Durham, England
Rel: Neice
Occ: School

Dwelling: The Grammar School House
Census Place: Crossgate, Durham, England
Source: FHL Film 1342191 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4954 Folio 12 Page 18
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Samuel B.G. WILLIAMS U 29 M Frodshain, Cheshire, England
Rel: Head
Occ: School Master And Clerk In Holy Orders M A Ox...
Elizabeth G. WILLIAMS W 57 F Hold, Flint, Wales
Rel: Mother
Occ: Receives Income From House Funds Dividends
Elizabeth WILLIAMS U 30 F Frodshain, Cheshire, England
Rel: Sister
A.Mary WILLIAMS U 26 F Frodshain, Cheshire, England
Rel: Sister
William H.H. MILVAIN 15 M N Castle, Northumberland, England
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Scholar

This thread: