NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2005-03 > 1109932332

From: Brian Pears <>
Subject: Re: [NMB] Beaconsfield School 1928/30
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:32:12 +0000

Robin's wool <> wrote:
>Further to my email .. Beaconsfield School was in Low Fell Gateshead
>and in Beaconsfield Road. The School would also be known as Mrs
>BILTCLIFFE's Fortunately the 4th form photo has a list and we've now
>established the photo is taken in 1927/8 The family names are DRING
>COLE WELCH SINTON NICHOLSON MACKLEY ROBINSON
>CUNION BUGLASS FLEET DODDS LAIDLER HIRD
>Teachers Mrs BILTCLIFFE and Miss CASSELS
>
>Does any one have a photo of the school?

Robin

Beaconsfield School was at "Underhill" on Kells Lane, Low Fell
which is more famous for having been the home and laboratory of
Joseph Wilson Swan and the place where he invented the light
bulb (long *before* that interloper, Edison). See:

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/ls/lowfell/Underhill.jpg

The house is now an Old People's Home, but they will allow
interested persons to see inside and have a look at Swan's
laboratory, a very large conservatory. I imagine that they
would allow folks interested in the school to see inside
too.

It's very difficult to take a photograph of the house today
because of trees, and I didn't take the conservatory because
it had OPs in when I was there, but here's one of a display
outside the lab.

www.bpears.org.uk/temp/swanlamp.jpg

Cheers, Brian
--