NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2010-08 > 1282235585

From: "Phil Davis" <>
Subject: [NMB] Evening Chonicle and Newcastle Journal Archive
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:33:05 +0100

I am trying to locate an article and photograph that appeared in either the
Newcastle Evening Chronicle or the Newcastle Journal (I can't remember
which) concerning the opening and first occupancy of the high rise flats in
Shieldfield. The article c1960, featured Mary Jane Myers (then aged about
80) who had moved out of Buxton Street, Newcastle upon Tyne into Lort House
and for the first time in her life she was experiencing the benefit of a
home with electricity and a bathroom. The picture showed Mary Jane looking
out of her new kitchen window at the Newcastle skyline. Does anyone know if
is possible to digitally search the Chronicle and Journal from this period
(perhaps 1959-61) or is it necessary to wade through every issue the long
winded way? Alternatively, perhaps someone has a precise date that Lort
House began to be occupied. (Mary Jane and her daughter Elizabeth were both
the first tenants of the flat they occupied.)

Rgds,

Phil Davis

This thread: