NORTHUMBRIA-L Archives

Archiver > NORTHUMBRIA > 2012-04 > 1334138743

Subject: Re: [NMB] Old streets - where were they?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

Tony:

I cannot help with all your questions, but my comments on some of them are as follows.

To state the obvious, Back Picton Street would be behind Picton Street. I expect Picton Street would be next to Picton House, which I remember as standing alone in the middle of a coal-year which had been part of the railway sidings associated with the New Bridge Street Goods Station (notoriously bombed during the War). The site will now be occupied by buildings associated with Northumbria University (Halls of residence?) or else by part of the Central Motorway.

Postern Street will have led up to the site of the Postern Gate, one of the minor gates in the Town Wall and situated immediately south-east of the Central Railway Station.

I would expect - and this is a guess - that St Mary's Street might be somehow associated with, or perhaps an old name for, St Mary's Place, a street running east from the Haymarket, passing south of St Thomas' Church and the Civic Centre.

The simple answer to your last query is that Byker is an eastern suburb of Newcastle. The more detailed one is that the de Byker family owned it in mediaeval times and sold part of it - Pandon, which lay adjacent to newcastle - to newcastle in aboutt he 13th century. beforet hat, Newcastle was in at least one document, described as being "near Pandon", showing how comparatively important that one little corner of Byker manor was. Later, Byker became just "that part of All Saints parish lying east of the Ouseburn", and was probably largely ministered to by the Chapelry of Newcastle St Ann. Apart from intensive industry in the Ouseburn valley, including some very early glassworks, Byker village was well to the east, near the top of Byker Hill. Byker Hill itself was the site of many old stone quarries and also of Byker pit. East of Byker Hill one was in part of the parish of Longbenton and the land sloped down to Walker. Byker's mainly rural setting remained until the late nineteenth century, whicih it became covered in long rows of close-packed red-brick terraces, many of them made up of "Tyneside Flats". They were swept away in the late 1960s, to be replaced by the "Byker Wall", a more modern take on the same theme. The main turnpike road from Newcastle to North Shields ran along City Road in Newcastle, then having crossed the Ouseburn, up Byker Bank to meet the route from Newcastle via New Bridge Street which, after c1900 crossed the Ouseburn via Byker Bridge, then along the line of Hadrian's Wall, as a shopping street called Shields Road, right to the top of Byker Hill.

Geoff Nicholson

Does anyone know where "Back Picton Street", Newcastle; "St. Georges
Terrace" Cullercoats (I can find St. George's Road); "Postern Street",
Newcastle; "St. Mary's Street" and "St. Mary's Terrace", Newcastle or
"Tynemouth Gate", Tynemouth?

Also, is Byker a stand-alone town, or is it a suburb of Newcastle?

This thread: