NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0920672521

From: <>
Subject: Birth Records from Norway
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:22:01 -0800

At 04:26 PM 3/5/99 EST, wrote:
>Is it possible to get birth records from Norway? I know where and when my g-g-
>grandfather was born, who his parents are, and what farm he lived on when he
>was born, with that info. can you get a birth record for Totens?

Hi,
I don't think that certificates were issured, such as in this country. They
were entered into the Parish Priest Ministerial Logs, and sometimes also a seprate
Log, for Births. These are mostly all microfilmed by the LDS church and available
for rental and ordering. Ask for the film that is for Toten, for the years he would
have been born.
Its about 3.50 to rent, takes about 2 weeks to come in. When you get them
you will see Baptisms that were entered. Usuaully they births were not entered, just
baptism, but sometimes they tell the actual birth date also. Its usually about 6 weeks
prior. You can copy these off the films. I have all my Norwegian family members
baptism, confirmation, and marriage entries copies and saved in an album. They are
wonderful to look at and know that long ago in a country across the sea, with foreign
words, my grgrandparents important events were being noted. Its almost like seeing
the ceremonies if you visualize. It also has the wittnesses, so you may find
grandmas, aunts and uncles etc. attending. Very Interesting.
Good luck,
Karla

This thread: