NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0920802792

From: "Marianne" <>
Subject: SV: Brukarar Farm
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:33:12 +0100

Hello Wilma,
I would think that this is an explanation of the person's "living
status". He is the user of a farm, or possibly a subfarm, what we call
'bruk'.That means he was not the owner, just a user, 'bruker'.
When it is written 'brukarar', the ending '-ar' tells that your
information are written in 'nynorsk', a language used in some parts of
Norway, at least along the west coast.
If you change the 'a' in brukar to 'e', = bruker, you will find it in
Tolken. Your word is in plural (the last 'ar') so it surely tells
about several users.

Hope this was understandable.

greetings, Marianne