NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0921177620

From: "P. Risvold" <>
Subject: Re: Knutson/Knutzon's from Norway
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:40:20 -0600

Karol is looking for this Knutson/Knutzon family -

"Helge Knutson was born in Nore Prestegjeld, Numedal, Norway in 1826. He was
the only son of Knut and Gunild. There were four sisters. He married Ingebor
Oldsdatter, daughter of Ole and Gro.
They left from Oslo on a sail boat, sailing for 9½ weeks. They landed in
Quebec and sailed by boat on the St. Lawrence River to Lansing, Michigan. They
next came down the Mississippi River to McGregor (Iowa), finally locating at
the home of an aunt of Helge, eighty miles southwest of McGregor.
Ole Halgrim encouraged them to move to Humboldt County. In May 1872, a caravan
of five neighbors fixed up covered wagons and started out. They finally
reached a homestead belonging to Kluge's, (John Opheim's present home). Kluges
had a sod hut, and the family camped there for a few days.
Then Helge decided to build a sod hut (1½ miles east, ½ mile north of Thor,
section 15,) on a knoll of dry land with sloughs to the west and east. Later
lumber was hauled from Fort Dodge (Iowa) to build a house which consisted of
one large room and a loft upstairs.
That year was a difficult one. There was no cash and no credit. The family
lived mostly on midling bread. They had a dollar's worth of sugar the entire
first year.
Ten children were born to this family. Only four grew to adulthood. Several
died from Diptheria. The four who grew up were Knut, who did blacksmithing and
also farmed near Thor; Rosa, who married Jens Gangestad and lived on a farm
near Goldfield; and Ole and Henry, who lived on the family farm. Henry lived
on this farm until 1946 when he retired and moved to Eagle Grove. The farm was
sold in 1951 to Lawrence McDermott. Gordon Mersch is the present owner.
Henry and Ingeborge Mickelson Knutson were the parents of Thelma, Iva, Evertt
and Howard."
A reprint from the book "Thor and Community 1881 - 1981" a centennial
celebration publication of the community of Thor, Humboldt County, Iowa.

The Lutheran Church in Thor published a centennial booklet in 1972 and that
book lists that Henry Knudson confirmed 1904, George Knutson was confirmed in
1908. There are also Knutzons and Eittreims listed in later confirmation
classes.

Karol - have you checked the records available through the Mormon Family
History Centers yet? Their catalog lists church records on microfilm as being
available back to about 1708 for parts of the Nore prestegjeld (clerical
district) and a bygdebok/ættarbok also available on microfiche which MIGHT be
of assistance. (There are probably others on the List with more experience in
that area than I.)
My maternal grandmother was born in Thor just a couple years after your
grandfather, and some of their siblings appears to be of nearly identical ages
- so in that small community we can be completely sure that they knew each
other. But her ancestors came from the Hardanger area of Hordaland in Norway -
so my researches have taken me into different Norwegian records and nowhere
into Buskerud county Norway.
Pam Risvold

Karol Wiekamp wrote:

> Dear All,
> My Knutson/Knutzon's (my grandfather changed the spelling) were from
> Numedal, Nore Prest. Norway. Settled in Thor/Eagle Grove, Iowa. Searching
> for:
>
> 1st Generation
> Knute KNUTSON (my ggggrandfather)
> m. Gunhild
>
> 2nd Generation
> Helge KNUTSON b. 11 Feb 1826 Numedal, Nore Prestegjeld, Norway d. 25 Sep
> 1887 Thor, Humboldt Co., Iowa (my gggrandfather)
>
> Helge
> m. Abt. 1853 Ingebor OLDSDATTER in Numedal, Nore Prest., Norway
>
> 3rd Generation
> Gro KNUTSON b. Bef. 1854
> Knute H. KNUTSON b. 21 Oct 1854 Numedal, Nore Prest., Norway d. 19 Dec 1893
> Thor, Humboldt Co., Iowa (my ggrandfather)
> Ole KNUTSON b. 1864
> Rosa KNUTSON b. 1867
> Gunhild KNUTSON b. 1872
> Henry H. KNUTSON b. 1873
>
> Knute H. KNUTSON
> m. 2 Feb 1882 in Thor, Humboldt Co., Iowa to Britha EITREIM daughter of
> Kristofer EITREIM.
>
> 4th Generation
>
> Belle KNUTSON b. Abt. 1882
> Christian KNUTSON b. 19 Aug 1884
> Anna Helena KNUTSON b. 28 Feb 1887, Thor, Iowa d. 17 Jan 1970 in Thor,
> Humboldt, Co., Iowa
> Henry Kornelius KNUTZON b. 10 Oct 1889 in Thor, Iowa d. May 1971 Kingman,
> AZ
> (my grandfather)
> George KNUTZON b. 10 Oct 1893 in Thor, Iowa d. Sep 1976 in Thor, Iowa
>
> If anyone has anything to add, I surely would appreciate it.
>
> Karol Knutzon-Wiekamp
> Etiwanda, California

This thread: