NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0921946045

From: "Peter J. Arnesen" <>
Subject: Re: MUNDAHL, HILLESTEAD Surnames
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 11:07:25 -0500

Bev Green wrote:

> I am searching for information on Sjur Mundahl wife
>Marguerite Hillestead.I believe that Sjur was born 4/11/1855 and
>Marguerite 10/11/1848. They had a daughter Mary. They were al born in
>Norway.

Bev, there are several steps I would suggest that may yield fairly quick
results, if you're lucky.

First, try the search engines that are available for the online 1865 and
1875 Norwegian Censuses. If you're not yet familiar with these sources,
check out the excellent webpage that Karla maintains for this list and you
will find links that will explain how to use these materials and will take
you to them.

Second, you might try the International Genealogical Index (IGI) at your
nearest LDS Family History Center. To use it successfully, though, you're
going to need your grandparents' patronymics, since the IGI almost always
lists people under the masculine forms of their patronymics. You're still
likely to end up with multiple candidates for grandparent-hood, but at least
you'll begin to narrow down possible areas to search further.

There's a good chance, though, you're going to need to find evidence to
point to the right area of Norway. I was completely lost tracing one of my
great grandparents until my dad found a second cousin who still lived in the
town in Wisconsin where my great grandfather's family settled in 1871, 2
years after they emigrated. She turned out to have access to local church
records that showed that the family came from Trøgstad and Eidsberg in
Østfold. Without that evidence, I would have been hopelessly lost, since my
great grandfather's apparent "farm name" of Hauge has no discernable
relation (not that I've found yet, at least) to the farm where he was born
and from which his family emigrated.

Don't let this discourage you; just recognize that these things do take a
bit of work, and that it can be difficult for us to help until we have a bit
more to go on.

Good hunting, as our friend John Follesdal would say.

Peter J. Arnesen -- Saline, MI, USA

This thread: