NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0922012554

From: Ida Skarson McCormick <>
Subject: Re: MUNDAHL...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 02:35:54 -0800

Bev:

Trondhjem was an old name for the city of Trondheim, the regional city for
both counties. I find some people from outlying parishes would give their
birthplace as Trondhjem to the American recordkeepers, although there were
many miles between their home parish and Trondhjem, rather than give the
parish name as their birthplace. Distance has a way of telescoping, the
further away you are.

Of incidental interest is that former US VP Walter Mondale's immigrant
ancestor was Mundahl, whose American surname got modified for him in 2
stages, becoming Mondale. (Of course, having the same farm name, or coming
from the same farm, does not mean there is any family relationship.)

It is important to think of farm names and patronymics in 19th Century
Norway rather than surnames. Most of the rural population did not have
fixed surnames. It is a concept that is hard for late 20th Century
Americans to internalize.

Sjur and Siur are short forms of Sivert/Sigvard. Name variants may be
important in pinning down who was named after whom in a previous generation.

If the first Sjur found by Anne is yours, then he had 2 sisters named
Synneva. The parents had 2 women in the family named Synneva for whom they
needed to name a child.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, , Seattle

----