NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0922066095

From: "Lee Hanson" <>
Subject: PHOTO OP?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 17:28:15 -0800

How prevalent was photography in Norway in 1854? I have a photograph
(tintype or ferrotype) of my g-g grandfather (all dressed up with
wide-lapeled jacket and a watch with chain and fob). He's about 14
years old, and we _think_ the photograph was taken for his
confirmation. He claimed to have been born in Drammen (Buskerud) in
1840, so his confirmation was about 1854. The photograph might be a
clue whether he was in Norway at that time. Were photographers at all
plentiful in Norway in the 1850s? Did people go to "large cities" (such
as Oslo) if they wanted to have a photograph taken? Thanks for any help
you can give on this. -=Lee Hanson

This thread: