NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0922289168

From: "dye" <>
Subject: Fjelberg,Norway
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:26:08 -0800

I just today found some documents which may lead me to the origin
in Norway!! I am so Happy!!! Thank so much to all the advise and great
direction I received here in this wonderful group.

I knew John and Anna/Annie Peterson came from Norway around 1857-1858.
But not a clue as to where.

The first child, James was born in Norway in 1856 and with direction
from this wonderful group that's where I concentrated my efforts today.

I found a marriage register for James Peterson(b1856), in Kendall Co.
Illinois,
wed to Belle Nelson on Jan 15, 1880. It states his birthplace as:
Fildberg, Norway.
I do have a map and can't find that spelling but I do find Fjelberg, Norway.
I'm not sure what county this would be in.

James's parents were John(born 1825) and Anna (Johnson-born 1830). On the
marriage register of James it lists parents as: Johannes Peterson and Anna
Jenson.

I pulled the 1900 Illinois census and found James and Belle with children
and the father: John Peterson age 75 living with them. It also lists the
date
of immigration for father and son (John and James) as 1858.

I have no idea what to do now. Do I have enough information to send for
documents in Norway? Any help will be appreciated.

Connie
in California

This thread: