NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0922361560

From: <>
Subject: Re: Clausen from Aalen
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:32:40 EST

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I do believe this is my Kjersti
Mathiasdtr. I show her birth date to be Jan 1, 1848.

I don't have much info yet on Hans Clausen other than he emigrated to US in
1854 along with his parents. They settled in Waterloo Township, Allamakee
County, IA. There are several Clausens/Clausons in this community and I don't
know yet how they all fit together. However, in my search of the IGI, I found
a Ole O. Klausen Stene Clauson married to a Berit Christophersdtr Greslie who
lived in Waterloo Township. I believe that Ole (whose birthdate could be July
2, 1835) could be a brother to my Hans Clausen who was born in 1843. (Perhaps
the Stene name could be the farm name.) Kjersti's father was Mathias Olsen
Stene.

Also, the cemetery records show Hans Keislie Clausen. This is the first time
I have seen the Keislie as part of Hans' name. Could that be a clue to the
farm name?

I have just begun my search into this line and have approximately 85-90
Clausens/Clausons ALL in the Waterloo Township area. This information was
found either in the IGI microfiche or from the Waterloo Ridge Cemetery records
which are online through the Allamakee County GenWeb web site.

As far as the two sons of Mathias Olsen Stene who were taken prisoner and died
in prison--they were most likely prisoners at the infamous Andersonville, GA
prison. I'm finding that a lot of the residents in this part of Iowa fought
in the Civil War.

Thanks so much for your assistance. Can you tell me where Aalen is located?
This is a part of Norway I am not as yet familiar with.

Judy in TX

This thread: