NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 1999-03 > 0922593134

From: "Håkon & Terry " <>
Subject: Re: Orphanage in Decorah, Iowa
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:52:14 -0500

Hi Sadie:
I saw your inquiry about Gustav Adolph HANSEN. I do have some biographical
information about him, from my book "Norwegian Lutheran priests in Amerika
1843-1913".

HANSEN, Gustav Adolph
ordained 1908. Norwegian synode, 1908-.
Born in Kristiania, Norway, 1880. His parents: Helge Olaus Hagen and Marie
(maiden name: Olsen)
They emigrated ?...He attended Luther College ?-1905; and Luther seminary
1905-1908. He was a priest (pastor) in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 1908-1910; in
Almira, Washington 1910-1911; Potlach, Idaho 1911-1913, and in Elk Mound,
Wisconsin 1913-.
This is perhaps not much, but hopefully it can get you started. Usually,
there is a miniature portrait of the pastor beside the biographical
information, but unfortunately not in this case. I wish you the best of
luck.

Haakon Bjerke

> I am asking any kind Norwegians on the Norway List if they know of an
> orphanage and old folk's home in Decorah, a wonderful Norwegian town that
was
> doing business in the late 1800's.
>
> Hans and Mary (?) Hanson emigrated with 3 children in 1882 from Oslo.
About
> 1885 they were in Gladstone, Ramsey County, Minnesota. Hans died, Mary
was
> sick and the children were given to other families to be raised. The
three
> children were Magna, Mary and Gustav.
>
> I have just found out (yesterday in fact) that one of the children,
GUSTAV