NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2000-10 > 0970766027

From: "Ingrid" <>
Subject: SV: Norge 1945 silverware translation
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:13:47 +0200

Haakon has translated the inscription, I agree with him:
"Brutt blev lenker, bnd og tvang" - broken were chains, ties, and tyranny

In an old patriotic song ("For Norge kjempers fdeland" - For Norway, native
land of the giants) there is a line something like "- dog vkner vi vel opp
en gang og bryter lenker, bnd og tvang". This says " - but we will awake
some time and break chains, ties, and tyranny". Very patriotic and very
appropriate in the years after WW2.

The date 2-4-1947 is the second of April in this part of the world. Probably
an anniversary date of some kind.

Just want to add that silverware with the 830S is what we call "ekte slv" -
pure silver. It is a metal alloy that contains 830 / 1000 of silver.You can
also find silver jewellery that is marked 925S, but for spoons and such
things 830S is the best. You can polish the spoon to bring out the beauty of
the metal. A silver plate spoon is made from another metal and has a thin
coat of silver which may rub off in use. Those things are often marked "40"
or "60" , which says something about the silver coating.

Hope this helps you!

Ingrid