NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2003-05 > 1053715886

From: "Becky Dolan" <>
Subject: Re: Oveson - Marriage Record Lookup
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:51:26 -0700

Hans,
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of looking there for a marriage. It was pretty rugged country when they got there; Ove was one of the founders of the township according to the papers we've gotten on the county history.
On his membership paperwork that he filled out for Valdres Samband in 1904, he states that after living in Decorah they moved to Hastings, MN. That's in Dakota Co. which is on the eastern border of the state then moved to Chippewa in western Minnesota. He gives the years that they were in each place, but we have easily proven that his time frame is completely off.
Just so I have this straight - you think it's possible (or likely for customs of the time) that Kari became pregnant while living with her family in Decorah, moved to Hastings and then to Benson where they were finally married?
We have a picture we are unable to identify - one cousin thinks it may be Ove & Kari, but Carol and I have been very doubtful of that because it looks like a wedding photo that was taken in North Dakota. Ove & Kari weren't in North Dakota until about 1880. They look pretty young, but how possible do you think that would be that they would have waited for 17 years and 9 or 10 kids before getting married? Or what about just skipping it altogether? If you've been together that long and haven't had a problem with it, then why bother?
The last land transaction Carol was able to find for Ove & Kari was selling their land in North Dakota in 1889. In 1895 Ove and all his children but they oldest few were living in Roseau County, MN. Kari was not with him, and I believe he indicated he was a widower (though I'm not positive of this). We've found Ove in all the available censuses up until his death in 1923. We've not been able to find Kari at all until her obituary in 1909 - she died at the home of her daughter, Julia, in East Grand Forks, MN, but their is no mention of Ove or her other children. Maybe no marriage and no divorce at all??????
Becky