NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2004-05 > 1084454496

From: "Eugene Johnson" <>
Subject: RE: Fw: Fw: Ports
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:21:36 -0500

I was able to find the ships passenger list for two on my family from
the Public Archives Canada, 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A
ON3. Here is an excerpt from a letter they wrote me in 1985:

"...the Public Archives has microfilm copies of ships arriving at the
two main eastern ports of entry: Quebec City, 1865-1908, and Halifax,
1881-1908."

I would like to find a picture of the Claus Heftig and the Gustave
Adolphe if possible. Any suggestions on where to look?

The following is quoted from my family history web page,
http://www.eugenedjohnson.com

"In 1866 only sailing ships were available for passage to America. These
ships left in the spring to return in the fall for one round trip per
year. The passenger fare was 13 speciedaler. To be in Bergen for the
departure, they had to plan enough time to travel to Laerdalsoren (from
Valdres) and then go by boat to Bergen. Supplies for the voyage and
everything necessary for starting a new life in America had to be
transported.

Johannes Johannesen Haugen (John Johnson) his wife Margarit (Mary) and
children Johan (John) and Tulline (Lena) Haugen sailed from Bergen
aboard the Gustave Adolphe on May 14, 1866. They arrived in Quebec on
June 16. They continued to Iowa by barge and railroad where they worked
for a year before traveling to Stanton County, Nebraska.

Sven Johannesen Haugen (Sven Johnson) his wife Sigri and children Joran
(Julia) and Johannesen (John) sailed from Bergen aboard the Claus Heftig
on April 23, 1868. They arrived at Quebec City on June 14. They
continued by barge and rail road to Council Bluffs, Iowa and crossed the
Missouri river to Omaha where they were met by brother John...

There is a book titled: "FRONTIER MOTHER", the letters of Gro Svendsen,
Arno Press, 1979, that is a collection of letters written home to family
in Norway by a young woman who made the same journey to Iowa at almost
the same time, 1862. It is a good reference of what the journey was like
if you are interested. A possible source would be the Norwegian-American
Historical Association and the library at St. Olaf College, Northfield,
Minnesota."

Hope this helps,
Gene