NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2010-10 > 1288538600

From: Rob Hårklau <>
Subject: [NOR] Norwegian gravestone inscriptions/ epitaphs
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:23:20 -0400

Thanks kindly for your thoughtful responses. Cheers, Rob

------------

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:42:47 +0200

From: "Pia Fjelltun" <>

Some of the inscriptions you will find more often er:

"Herunder hviler den jordiske levninger af" or "Her hviler st?vet af"

Below here is resting the mortal remains from..... her is resting the dust
from

Dybt savnet : deeply missed

Fred med dit st?v : Peace with your dust

Velsignet v?re ditt minde /signet eders minde : blessed is your memory

I feel the translation is not 100 % right, but don?t know how to translate
different ;).

Some of the older tombstones, spesial the metal ones have lovely

inscriptions telling about the life of, and about the person, with whom he

was married, how many children and how many are still alive. Love those ;)

Like this one:

http://ayorama.com/Jalbum/Buskerud/Kirker%20i%20Buskerud/Drammen%20Kirker/Sk

oger%20kirke/Grafstein%20skoger/slides/Skoger%20gml%20tombstones%20(3).JPG

Pia

-----------

Well I know "Fred" means "peace."

Which reminds of an online cemetery transcription done several years ago in

Minnesota. The Norwegian woman's headstone had "Fred" written below her

birth/death dates. The transcriber wrote that her husband's name was

"Fred!!" I knew better since she was related to me!

"Takk for alt" is another inscription I see in my Norwegian ancestors'

Minnesota burials. Loosely, it means "Thanks for everything."

Vickie in MN

----------

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:30:35 +0200

From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <>

The biggest collection of Norwegian gravestones in Norway is

"DIS-Norge's Gravminner":

http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/global1.php

You can use frengly.com to do translations, but note that many

inscriptions are from the bible, songs or psalms, and may not translate

correct directly...

Geir A. Myrestrand

This thread: