NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2011-02 > 1296898688

From: Lars Oyane <>
Subject: Re: [NOR] Bernhard (1879) and Helmer (1875) Larsen - brothers inMilwaukee, WI - challenge!
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 10:38:08 +0100

Dear Mark and other Listers,

Thank you very much, Mark, for your great message in regard to the Larsen brothers. I heard years ago about the difficulties in doing research at the Milwaukee County courthouse, and yet that's where the "older" death certificates would be, in particular the one for Bernhard Larsen!? Fortunaterly, the pre/1907 marriages have been indexed and are "free"... By the way, I have sometimes been successful getting death dates from Milwaukee cemeteries, so if everything else fails, maybe I should make a "telephone round"...

I don't know where you live, Mark, but if the Waukesha County courthouse is within reach for you, I would very much appreciate transcripts of Bernard and Agnes Haven's death certificates. Or maybe their obituaries will tell us what we need to know...?

Thanks a million, Mark, for whatever you can find!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Geilo, Norway
p.t. Bavaria, Germany

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Feb 1, 2011, at 4:17 AM, Mark Erickson wrote:

> The Milwaukee Journal from 1884 through 2007 is available online here:
> http://www.jsonline.com/historicarchive/
>
> I didn't find any of the Larsens or Havens in it. I'll take a look
> through some of the local Waukesha newspapers for you this weekend.
>
> You're right about Brookfield, the info should be in Waukesha County.
> It's a good thing too. Milwaukee County is expensive, but Waukesha is
> free.
>
> http://county.milwaukee.gov/GenealogicalResearch9856.htm
>
> I'll be in touch.
> -Mark
>
> On Jan 29, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Lars Oyane wrote:
>
>> Dear Vickie and other Listers!
>>
>> Thank you very much for great information on Bernhard Larsen or
>> rather on his wife and son. I have studied your information, and I
>> am convinced you are right!
>>
>> As far as the death places of Agnes and her 2nd husband Bernard
>> Havens is concerned, I presume that Broo has to be Brookfield, a
>> western suburb of Milwaukee located in Waukesha Co., WI.
>>
>> Now, those death records are not obvious to get from Norway (or
>> Germany where I currently spend my time for health reasons), but
>> maybe we have listers who live in the Milwaukee/Waukesha area who
>> can help doing a lookup at the Register of Deeds?
>>
>> Still it remains a big "mystery" who these wives of Bernhard and
>> Helmer were...? If we could only find their marriage records?
>> Maybe they, as so many Milwaukee-people used to do back in those
>> days, went down to Waukegan, IL to get married?
>>
>> Thanks again for any additional information anyone can find on these
>> families!
>>
>> Very sincerely yours,
>>
>> Lars E. Oyane
>> p.t. Hinterzarten, Black Forest
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:27 PM, wrote:
>>
>>> WWI Draft Card, Leo Martin Larsen, born November 10, 1898. This
>>> is a
>>> terrible scan, but I see he's employed by Agnes Larsen (probably
>>> his mother).
>>> http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6482&;
>>> iid=WI-1674874-3934&fn=Leo+Martin&ln=Larsen&st=d&ssrc=&pid=2167879
>>>
>>> This appears to be the same Leo from the SSDI:
>>> Name: Leo Larsen
>>> Last Residence: 53233 Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
>>> Born: 10 Nov 1898
>>> Died: Dec 1965
>>> State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (Before 1951)
>>>
>>> WI Death Index:
>>> Name: Leo Larsen
>>> Age: 67
>>> Sex: M
>>> Birth Date: abt 1898
>>> Death Date: 20 Dec 1965
>>> Location: Milw.
>>> Certificate: #038063
>>>
>>> The 1930 Milwaukee census lists a Leo Larsen, age 31, stepson,
>>> bartender,
>>> living with Bernard Havens, age 43, born IL, night club proprietor,
>>> and his
>>> wife Agnes L., age 48. Her first marriage occurred when she was
> [...]
>>> old:
>>> http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6224&;