NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2011-08 > 1313624394

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [NOR] Lars Anderson (Civil War vet) (1834) and wifeGertrude(1821) - WI/IA/MN - what happened to them?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:39:54 -0400 (EDT)

Then it comes to my mind: Apart from an application for naturalization from
1870 (http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1629&iid=31192_118156-06181&fn=Lars&ln=Endresen&st=r&ssrc=&pid=4051588),
where Dane Co., WI is suggested his place of residence, we have no proof as to
where this family resided between the birth of their youngest son in 1865 and
the 1880 census when they show up in Humboldt Co., IA. Could it be they did
file on land in Kandiyohi Co., MN in 1866 after all, but abandoned the land
without ever living there? If we could only find them in the 1870 census...!?
I just can't find them in Dane Co., WI!

Hi Lars:
Due to busy family events, I have not followed this discussion closely so my suggestion of looking at STATE census records may have already taken place. Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin took STATE censuses on years other than the Federal censuses.

Iowa did not take any STATE census in the 1860s or 1870s, but did in 1885 as well as other years.
Minnesota took a STATE census in 1865, 1875, 1885 and other years.
Wisconsin took a STATE census also in 1865, 1875, 1885 and other years.

I do not have Ancestry, but I understand that the Iowa STATE Censuses are on Ancestry. So maybe MN and WI STATE Censuses are there also.

Phyllis in Maryland

This thread: