NORWAY-L Archives

Archiver > NORWAY > 2012-02 > 1330121874

From: Steve Heimerle <>
Subject: Re: [NOR] Ancestry complaint
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:17:54 -0800 (PST)

My impression is that religion is a taboo topic for this listserv but my understanding is that Mormons believe they have the right to baptize the dead as a way of increasing their numbers.  Given they are doing it to people they do not know and who have no voice in the matter it seems a rather shallow thing - on paper, so to speak - how could it possibly have an impact on the dead? It makes me wonder whether each member of the church who participates in this gets some sort of "credit" for baptizing a certain number of people.  I did know someone who passed away last year - a Mormon who helped a lot of people find their ancestors including me - was towards the end of his life creating a lot of family trees on ancestry.com. He made errors along the way in his haste, but I also saw no evidence he was baptizing anyone. In my interaction with him I did not sense he was motivated to do that.

I live in San Francisco and just this past week word got out that a new website has been launched in which one can select a dead Mormon and make him or her gay retroactively.  That may or may not be funny, but it suggests the level of seriousness one may have in thinking of this. Still, the process feels disrespectful, and why not puts one's time to a better use?

Steve