NOTTSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > NOTTSGEN > 2004-01 > 1074279345

From: "Rod Smith" <>
Subject: [Notts] TOPLADY
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:55:45 -0000

Hi all knowing ones!

With finding out that my 3rd great-grandmother was Martha TOPLADY, and intrigued by the name, I managed (through the excellent NFHS bap's, marr. & bur. CD's) to find a potential (yet to be cross referenced) 8th great-grandfather, Joseph TOPLADY born abt 1639.
There I'm stuck, as none of the info available gives his parents.
Another TOPLADY, about this time, is a potential 9th GG, Francis TOPLADY, born 1578 & lived 84 years, twice Mayor of Nottingham, and was an Alderman during the civil war (let, according to Lucy Hutchinson, the Royalists into the Town of Nottingham, she called him a 'greate mallignant', I don't think she liked him), but, apart from two of his sons (both Sheriffs, and one, William also Mayor) and a daughter Mary, who settled in Ashbourne with her husband Francis SLEIGH, I can't find out any more about him (family wise)

Has anybody any ideas on how to proceed?

Rod Smith

This thread: