NOTTSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > NOTTSGEN > 2013-05 > 1367749329

From: "Tony Proctor" <>
Subject: Re: [NTT] Cemetery Road, Nottingham
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:22:09 +0100

Riste's Place is on the 1885 map I sent you Annette. I had a browse through
an 1858 Wrights directory at that Web site I gave you. It mentions Rice
Court & Rice yard, both off Rice Place, which was off Barker Gate. If your
ancestors were shopkeepers of any type then they may be mentioned by name in
there.

Page 137 of that directory is interesting since it "walks" along Barker Gate
from the Stoney St end. It mentions Stoney St, then #2/3/4, then Rice Place,
then Salem Chapel, then St Mary's Boys School.

Both the chapel and the school are shown on my 1885 map so that pretty much
confirms that Rice Place was changed between 1858 and 885 to Riste's Place.

That area has totally changed but I am pretty sure that Riste's Place is
still there and is one of the few cobblestoned streets still there.

Tony