NOVA-SCOTIA-L Archives

Archiver > NOVA-SCOTIA > 1998-10 > 0907981310

From: "Brian Smith" <>
Subject: [NOVA-SCOTIA-L] Archelaus CROWELL, Barrington, N.S.
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 21:01:50 -0400

Hi:

Seeking more information on Archelaus Crowell (info below) and his
descendants (this is my direct line). I know that he was born in Yarmouth,
Mass., August 20, 1747, migrated to Barrington, N.S. with his parents.
Married Mary ?? either in Yarmouth, Mass. or Barrington. No info on his
death, who his wife was, or birth dates for most of his children.

Any help appreciated!

Brian

1

First Generation

1. ARCHELAUS1 CROWELL, son of Judah Crowell and Tabitha
Nickerson, was born in Yarmouth, Mass August 20, 1747 (John
Crowe (Crowell), Page 27.. Nickerson Vol. 1, Page 39.).
He married MARY ? date unknown in Unknown. Lived alone at
Barrington, 1769 census; lived Port Roseway, 1780.

Archelaus Crowell and Mary ? had the following children:

2 i. ROBERT BARRY2.
ii. ELDAD.
iii. HULDAH.

Second Generation

2. ROBERT BARRY2 CROWELL (Archelaus1) birth date unknown.
He married SARAH PENNEY December 17, 1807 in Shelburne
County, Nova Scotia, Canada (Barrington, N.S., V.R.). Sarah
was born April 24, 1787 in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia,
Canada (Barrington, N.S., V.R.). Sarah was the daughter of
Samuel Penney and Sarah Nickerson. May have used first name
"Barry".

Robert Barry Crowell and Sarah Penney had the following

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

2

children:

3 i. DANIEL PENNEY3 was born October 4, 1808
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.).
ii. LUCY was born in Barrington, N.S., Canada October
6, 1810 (Barrington Township Records, page 55.).
4 iii. PELEG was born December 23, 1814 (Barrington,
N.S., V.R.).
iv. ELIZABETH was born in Barrington, N.S., Canada
December 22, 1817 (Barrington Township Records,
page 55.).
v. HULDAH was born in probably Cape Sable Is., N.S.
March 22, 1819 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 3, Centreville
Cemetary, page 4..Barrington Township Records,
page 55.). Huldah died January 14, 1876 in
probably Cape Sable Is., N.S., at age 56
(Shelburne Cty. Vol 3, page 4.). She married
WILLIAM S. NEWELL date unknown.
vi. HANNAH was born in Barrington, N.S., Canada July
14, 1820 (Barrington Township Records, page 55.).
vii. ARCHELAUS was born in Shelburne County, Nova
Scotia, Canada May 20, 1822 (Barrington, N.S.,
V.R.). Archelaus died January 2, 1870 in
probably Shelburne County,N.S., at age 47
(Hdstnes, Old Salem,N.S.). He married SUSANNA
SMITH date unknown. Susanna was born November 7,
1823 in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada
(Shelburne CO., N.S.,P.R..Smith Family Bible).
Susanna was the daughter of Nathaniel Smith and
Susan Spinney. Susanna died March 5, 1869 in
Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada, at age 45.
Buried in Old Salem Cemetary, Port LaTour.
(Hdstnes, Old Salem,N.S.) First name listed in
Barrington V.R. as Archelaus, in Crowell's
History of Barrington as Archibald.
5 viii. SARAH was born August 24, 1824 (Barrington, N.S.,
V.R.).
6 ix. WILLIAM SPINNEY was born May 27, 1827
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.).
x. JESSE was born 1829. Jesse died date unknown in
lost at sea, at age unknown (History Barrington,
N.S., page 463.).

Third Generation

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

3

3. DANIEL PENNEY3 CROWELL (Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was
born in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada October 4, 1808
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.). Daniel died October 10, 1873 at age
65 (Hdstnes, Old Salem,N.S.).
He married twice. He married MARY CROWELL SMITH date
unknown. Mary was born December 6, 1816 in Shelburne County,
Nova Scotia, Canada (Shelburne CO., N.S.,P.R..Smith Family
Bible). Mary was the daughter of Nathaniel Smith and Susan
Spinney. Mary died October 18, 1873 in Barrington Twp., N.S.,
Canada, at age 56 (Hdstnes, Old Salem,N.S.). He married MARY
CROWELL SMITH about 1839 in Barrington Twp., N.S., Canada
(Descendants of Nathan Snow). Mary was born December 6, 1816
in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada (Shelburne CO.,
N.S.,P.R..Smith Family Bible). Mary was the daughter of
Nathaniel Smith and Susan Spinney. Mary died October 18, 1873
in Barrington Twp., N.S., Canada, at age 56 (Hdstnes, Old
Salem,N.S.).

Daniel Penney Crowell and Mary Crowell Smith had the
following children:

7 i. BENJAMIN4.
8 ii. NATHANIEL S. was born 1837.

4. PELEG3 CROWELL (Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was born in
Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada December 23, 1814
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.).
He married LETITIA SWIM date unknown in Unknown. Letitia
was born September 12, 1818 in Clarks Harbor (Barrington,
N.S., V.R.). Letitia was the daughter of Michael Swim and
Jemima Crowell. Letitia died August 1903 in probably
Barrington Twp., N.S., at age 84 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4).

Peleg Crowell and Letitia Swim had the following children:

i. HANNAH4. She married JOEL WORTHEN date unknown.
Joel was born March 20, 1846 in probably
Barrington Twp., N.S. (Carol Oxner e-mail). Joel
died May 21, 1930 in probably Barrington Twp.,
N.S., at age 84 (Carol Oxner e-mail). buried in
Riverdale Cemetary, Barrington. buried in
Riverdale Cemetary, Barrington, N.S. Just a
marker H.A.W.
ii. JAMES. Unmarried. (History Barrington, N.S.,
page 463.)
9 iii. MARGARET was born April 5, 1839 (Shelburne Cty.
Vol 4, page 3.).
10 iv. MATILDA was born 1841.

5. SARAH3 CROWELL (Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was born in

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

4

Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada August 24, 1824
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.).
She married JOHN SMITH date unknown. John is the son of
Nathaniel Smith and Sophia Spinney.

Sarah Crowell and John Smith had the following children:

11 i. SUSAN SOPHIA4.
ii. NATHANIEL EDGAR was born May 10, 1861. Nathaniel
died November 13, 1930 at age 69.
iii. JOHN ARTHUR was born May 8, 1863. John died
April 14, 1943 at age 79. He married MARGARET
SNOW July 26, 1888 in Port LaTour N.S., Canada
(The Cape Sable Adv., Cape Sable Advertiser, page
28.). Margaret was born September 1, 1860.
Margaret was the daughter of Nathan Snow and
Rebecca Snow. Margaret died 1937 at age 76.
12 iv. MERCY JANE was born 1868.

6. WILLIAM SPINNEY3 CROWELL (Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was
born in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Canada May 27, 1827
(Barrington, N.S., V.R.).
He married HANNAH SMITH date unknown in Unknown. Hannah
was born February 22,1827 in Shelburne County, Nova Scotia,
Canada (Barrington, N.S., V.R.). Hannah was the daughter of
John Smith and Hannah Smith.

William Spinney Crowell and Hannah Smith had the following
children:

i. SOPHIA4 was born 1850. Sophia died August 4,
1945 at age 95. She married JOSEPH A. KENDRICK
date unknown in Unknown. Joseph was born 1857.
Joseph was the son of John Kendrick and Catherine
Kendrick. Joseph died 1915 at age 58.
13 ii. WILLIAM SHERARD was born 1858.

Fourth Generation

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

5

7. BENJAMIN4 CROWELL (Daniel Penney3, Robert Barry2,
Archelaus1) birth date unknown.
He married MELINDA HUSKINS date unknown in Unknown.

Benjamin Crowell and Melinda Huskins had the following
children:

i. MORTON5.
ii. CASSIE.
iii. DANIEL was born 1869. Daniel died 1871 at age 2.
iv. EMMA LEILAH was born August 6, 1873. Emma died
July 18, 1967 at age 93. She married LEVI THOMAS
date unknown. Levi was born March 14, 1870 in
Barrington Twp., N.S., Canada (Clyde, Cape Negro,
Clyde Circuit). Levi died December 13, 1933 at
age 63.
v. JAMES LEWIS was born March 25, 1876. James died
December 22, 1962 at age 86. He married CORDELIA
ELLA OBED November 15, 1898. Cordelia was born
November 5, 1879. Cordelia was the daughter of
Archibald Obed and Ann Smith. Cordelia died May
9, 1973 at age 93.
vi. WILLIAM THOMAS was born 1878 (Shelburne Cty. Vol
4, Woodside Cemetary, Port LaTour, N.S.).
William died 1960 at age 82.
vii. CLARENCE BURTON was born December 22, 1880.
Clarence died October 9, 1962 at age 81. He
married BLANCHE THOMAS October 28, 1908. Blanche
was born May 6, 1889. Blanche died June 1918 at
age 29.
viii. LIZZIE was born September 21, 1902.

8. NATHANIEL S.4 CROWELL (Daniel Penney3, Robert Barry2,
Archelaus1) was born 1837. Nathaniel died October 17, 1913 at
age 76.

Nathaniel S. Crowell and Sarah Jane Johnson had the
following children:

i. MARY S.5 was born March 2, 1861. Mary died
December 13, 1943 at age 82. She married JAMES
HARTLEY TREFRY September 1890. James was born
January 4, 1864. James was the son of Joshua
Trefry and Janet Crowell. James died June 11,
1922 at age 58.
ii. ARCHIBALD LESLIE was born December 6, 1862.
Archibald died August 4, 1954 at age 91. He
married twice. He married BERTIE SMITH December
22, 1886 in Port LaTour, N.S., Canada (The Cape
Sable Adv., Cape Sable Advertiser, page 7.).

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

6

Bertie was born September 24, 1867. Bertie was
the daughter of David Smith and Olivia (Crowell)
Crowell. Bertie died August 5, 1906 at age 38.
He married MAUD CROWELL January 4, 1908. Maud
was born May 8, 1877 in Barrington Twp., N.S.,
Canada (Clyde, Cape Negro, Clyde Circuit). Maud
was the daughter of George A. Crowell and Hannah
Snow. Maud died October 25, 1977 at age 100.

9. MARGARET4 CROWELL (Peleg3, Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was
born in Cape Sable Is., N.S., Canada April 5, 1839 (Shelburne
Cty. Vol 4, page 3.). Margaret died October 21, 1931 in
Smithville, N.S., Canada, at age 92 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4,
page 3.). Her body was interred date unknown in Smithville,
N.S., Canada.
She married THOMAS DOANE SMITH 1859 in Port LaTour, N.S.,
Canada (N.S. Births 1864-77, Shelburne County, page 12.).
Thomas was born January 22, 1837 in Smithville, N.S., Canada
(Evelyn Smith, SGS.Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, page 3..Smith Family
Bible). Thomas was the son of David Smith and Sarah Atwood.
Thomas died August 26, 1911 in Smithville, N.S., Canada, at
age 74 (Evelyn Smith, SGS.Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, page 3.).
Moved in with James and Jennie Smith (apparently when she
could no longer keep house herself). Evelyn Smith remembers
visiting her in her part of the house when she was a little
girl. Evelyn also has memories of seeing her sitting and
rocking in the bay window. At that time Margaret was very,
very deaf so that people had to holler in her ear. (Evelyn
Smith, SGS)

Margaret Crowell and Thomas Doane Smith had the following
children:

i. DEBORAH A.5 was born April 26, 1861. Deborah
died March 5, 1929 at age 67. She married
WILLIAM DOWLING November 19, 1881 in Barrington
Twp., N.S., Canada (Clyde, Cape Negro, Clyde
Circuit). William was born 1859. William died
February 15, 1940 at age 80.
ii. JAMES ALBERT was born in Smithville, N.S., Canada
August 26, 1863 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, page
3..Evelyn Smith, SGS). James died February 25,
1936 in Smithville, N.S., Canada, at age 72
(Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, page 3.). He married
twice. He married JENNIE SHAND February 1, 1887
in Bear Point, N.S, Canada (The Cape Sable Adv.,
Cape Sable Advertiser, page 9.). Jennie was born
February 16, 1866 in Liverpool N.S., Canada
(Queens County Museum). Jennie was the daughter
of James Shand and Sarah Jane Hayes. Jennie died

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

7

December 20, 1920 in Smithville, N.S., Canada, at
age 54 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, page 3.). Legal
name Lydia Jane Shand baptized at Blackpoint,
Liverpool N.S. on April 4, 1866. (Queens County
Museum)
He married LAURIE FLORETTA JOHNSON September
19, 1931 in Smithville, N.S., Canada. Laurie was
born April 6, 1876. Laurie died June 13, 1962 at
age 86. According to Evelyn Smith, grandaugther,
James Smith in later life was a coal dealer in
partnership with Archibald Crowell. Their coal
shed was near the wharves in Port LaTour (down
the road by the Oddfellows Hall.) The coal was
brought by ship. He lived in the old Smith house
at Smithville, N.S. It is unknown who built this
house but it might have been Thomas Smith,
James's father. All the land from the shore to
the land now owned by Mrs. Franklyn Crowell. The
remains of the foundations of David Smith's house
and another house are on top of the hill nearer
the shore. James Smith was deacon of the Baptist
Church at Port Latour after his uncle Joseph's
death. He was warden of Barrington Municipality
for many years and was succeeded by Lloyd Swaine.
At election time he was often Chairman of Liberal
rallies in Port LaTour Hall. (Evelyn Smith, SGS)
James A. Smith's occupation in the 1914 Nova
Scotia Directory, Shelburne County was listed as
Fisherman.
James Smith's last Will and Testament.
This is the last will and testament of me James
Albert Smith of Smiths- ville in the County of
Shelburne and Province of Nova Scotia, made this
15th day of May in the year of our Lord One
Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirty-four, I hereby
revoking all former Wills and Testamentary
dispositions by me at any time heretofore made.
I hereby nominate and appoint my wife Laurie
F. M. Smith of Smithsville in the County of
Shelburne as and to be the sole Executrix of this
my last Will directing my said Executrix to pay
all my just debts, funeral and Testamentary
expenses as soon as conveniently may be done
after my decease.
I hereby give and bequeath unto my son George
Thomas Smith that part of my house occupied by my
father and mother during their lifetime, also all
of my other buildings and lands lying and being
at Smithsville, excepting as hereinafter provided
for as follows; Should my son Frank Leslie

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

8

Smith at any time wish to build a house and
settle on any part of my homestead property he
shall have the privilege to do so and he and
George shall use the lands and out buildings in
common.
Also I bequeath and devise to my wife Laurie F.
M. Smith that part of my home which we now occupy
with all house- hold effects therein, and what
cattle we may have at my decease, to do with as
she may deem best, Also any share or part of any
Automobile I may have at my decease, At my
wife's decease or should she marry or go to any
other place to make her home permantly then her
interest as aforesaid shall go to my son Frank
should he wish to occupy it as his home, should
he not wish to have it for a home then all and
every part shall go to my son George. It is my
will that Frank shall heve the privilege to make
his home with my wife in the old home as long as
she shall live there as he may desire, at my
wife's decease should she be living in my home it
is my will and I so direct that the son of my
wife John Johnson shall have a home with whoever
may be living in my home at that time.
To my sons George and Frank I give and
bequeath my Wood Lot at North West Greek at Port
LaTour and my undivided interest in the Governors
lot so called at North West Creek; I give and
bequeath my shore privilege Smithsville to each
and all of my sons to be used by them in common.
It is my Will and I hereby direct that my son J.
Douglas Smith shall continue to have the use of
the money loaned to him by me and used by him to
carry on his business, and that he shall pay the
interest thereon to my wife Laurie F. M. Smith to
be used for her support, And I further direct
that he shall repay said loan the whole or in
part from time to time to my said wife to be used
by her as she may require for her maintenance,
Should my son J. Douglas Smith fail to pay the
interest on the said loan aforesaid to my said
wife for her support then she may proceed as she
may deem advisable and to her interest.
I also bequeath to my wife all notes and
mortgages held by me at my decease to be
collected by her at such time and in such way as
she may deem to her best interest and advisable
To my wife I give and bequeath all money
remaining at the closing of my Estate in the Bank
or otherwise for her use as long as she shall

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

9

remain my widow. Should she marry or at her
decease I hereby direct I hereby direct that any
money remaining shall be divided in equal parts
to my sons Guilford, Claude, Fred, Maurice, Frank
and George. I hereby direct that should my wife
marry or at her decease that on any part of said
loan remaining unpaid aforesaid the interest
shall cease, And I further direct that the
principal of said loan remaining unpaid shall be
paid in equal parts to my sons Guilford, Claude,
Fred, Douglas, Maurice as my son Douglas may be
financialy able and in such way as may be best
possible for him to do so.
In Witness Whereof, I hereunto set my hand
and seal the day and the year first above
written,

James Albert Smith (Seal)
Signed Published and Declared by the Testator,
James Albert Smith as and for his last Will and
Testament in the presence of us, both present at
the same time, who at his request in his presence
and in the presence of each other have hereunto
subscribed our names as witnesses.
Seth S. Crowell
Edmind V. Smith
iii. SARAH LETITIA was born in Port LaTour, N.S.,
Canada August 6, 1866 (N.S. Births 1864-77,
Shelburne County, page 12.). Sarah died
September 9, 1896 in probably Port Latour, N.S.,
at age 30 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4, Camp Hill
Cemetary, Port Latour). She married EDWIN SNOW
June 7, 1886 in Port LaTour N.S., Canada (The
Cape Sable Adv., Cape Sable Advertiser, page 1.).
Edwin was born 1862. Edwin was the son of Josiah
Snow and Catherine Ann Snow. He married
PRISCILLA ROSS date unknown in Unknown.
iv. HENRIETTA H. was born January 23, 1869.
Henrietta died January 22, 1924 at age 54. She
married twice. She married JAMES EDWIN SMITH
date unknown. James was born 1859. James was
the son of Gideon Smith and Jemima ?. James died
February 13, 1915 at age 55. Trapped below decks
for days when the schooner "Codseeker" capsized.
Rescued by the American Schooner "Ohio". (Terror
on the Coast, Schooner Codseeker)
She married HENRY KELLEY STODDARD December 7,
1918. Henry was born December 22, 1858 in Bear
Point. Henry was the son of George Stoddart and
Deborah (Swaine) Stoddart. Henry died December

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

10

28, 1939 at age 81. No children.

10. MATILDA4 CROWELL (Peleg3, Robert Barry2, Archelaus1) was
born in Southside 1841. Matilda died December 31, 1908 at age
67.
She married DAVID SMITH date unknown. David was born
January 1846. David was the son of William Smith and Lydia
Ann Worthen. David died October 22, 1913 in Barrington Twp.,
N.S., Canada, at age 67 (Shelburne Cty. Vol 4). His body was
interred October 1913 in Port LaTour N.S., Canada (Shelburne
Cty. Vol 4).

Matilda Crowell and David Smith had the following children:

i. WILLIAM ETHELBERT5 was born in Smithville, N.S.,
Canada October 28, 1867 (Clyde, Cape Negro, Clyde
Circuit). William died October 18, 1924 in
Barrington Twp., N.S., Canada, at age 56 (Clyde,
Cape Negro, Clyde Circuit). He married ETHELINDA
MESSENGER date unknown. Ethelinda was born
February 4, 1869. Ethelinda was the daughter of
Harrington Messenger and Agnes Messenger.
Ethelinda died February 1947 at age 78.
ii. MAGGIE LUZETTIE was born February 27, 1873.
Maggie died February 20, 1944 at age 70. She
married JAMES MELVIN CROWELL November 5, 1898 in
Barrington Twp., N.S., Canada (Clyde, Cape Negro,
Clyde Circuit). James was born January or June
30, 1873 in Baccaro, Shelburne County, N.S.
(Clyde, Cape Negro, Clyde Circuit). James was
the son of Samuel Crowell and Eliza Sholds.
James died August 10, 1953 at age 80.
iii. AUGUSTA was born September 12, 1876.

11. SUSAN SOPHIA4 SMITH (Sarah3 Crowell, Robert Barry2,
Archelaus1) birth date unknown. Susan died 1905 at age
unknown.

Susan Sophia Smith and William Henry Atwood had the
following children:

i. GILBERT KENNETH5.
ii. EVERETT LAWSON was born December 15, 1878.
Everett died December 22, 1957 at age 79.
iii. LILA HAZEL was born February 8, 1896. Lila died
June 29, 1980 at age 84. She married ROBERT
GORDON STODDARD November 9, 1918. Robert was
born October 13, 1894. Robert was the son of
Henry Stoddard and Jerusha Stoddard. Robert died
March 31, 1948 at age 53.

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

11

12. MERCY JANE4 SMITH (Sarah3 Crowell, Robert Barry2,
Archelaus1) was born 1868. Mercy died 1921 at age 53.

Mercy Jane Smith and William O. Hopkins had the following
children:

i. THOMAS5.
ii. GEORGE was born 1884. George died September 1927
at age 43.

13. WILLIAM SHERARD4 CROWELL (William Spinney3, Robert
Barry2, Archelaus1) was born 1858. William died 1918 at age
60.
He married DEBORAH WATT date unknown in Unknown. Deborah
was born 1860. Deborah died January 1938 at age 77.

William Sherard Crowell and Deborah Watt had the following
children:

i. MERLE5.
ii. ASHTON was born 1886. Ashton died March 1954 at
age 67. He married JESSIE B. WINTERS date
unknown in Unknown. Jessie was born 1888.
Jessie died June 4, 1975 at age 86.

Brian Smith October 8, 1998

Member:
New England Historic Genealogical Society
General Society of Mayflower Descendants
Genealogical Association of Nova Scotia
Shelburne County Genealogical Society
Argyle Municipality Historical & Genealogical Society
Nickerson Family Association

Researching Swaine, Nickerson, Swim, Crowell,
Smith, Shand and others from Barrington Twp., N.S.

This thread: