NOVA-SCOTIA-L Archives

Archiver > NOVA-SCOTIA > 1999-01 > 0915328499

From: "Roger MacPherson" <>
Subject: [NOVA-SCOTIA-L] Re: MCPHERSON- DURGIN, Pictou county, N.S.
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 19:54:59 -0600

Hello Alan:

Joseph McPherson's will contains the following references to family members:

Joseph Edward McPherson, Chief Trader of The Hudson's Bay Company., regd. 16
April 1880. Probate 21 March 1880.
Wife- Mary Fletcher McPherson; children : Murdoch, Maria, Donald, Margaret,
William, Alexander. A bequest for a son Richard Edward McPherson was left
in trust to John Grierson, of the Industrial School in Halifax.
Servant :Hannah McKay.
(Nova Scotia Wills and Probate - Pictou Co., Vol 1-3, 1879- 1903. LDS MFM
0581802.)

(I didn't copy the will, just extracted the above data. You can get the
microfilm at the LDS Family History Centres).

Pictou County Birth Records, 1869 (PANS MFM 16518), show Joseph's wife as
Maria Hardisty:

William Mortimer McPherson, b. 26 August 1869, Pictou, father Joseph
McPherson, mother Maria Hardisty, married Hudson's Bay.

The 1871 N.S. census- Pictou County, Pictou Div.1, shows Joseph's family:

McPherson, Joseph, 43, b. Manitoba, Presbyterian LCP, factor
" " wife Mary, 37, b. Hudson's Bay Territory,
" ‘ " Richard 17, b. Labrador
" " Murdoch, 12, b. Labrador
" " Maria, 9, b. Labrador
" " Donald, 7
" " Margaret , 5
" " William, 1 b. N.S.
Mother Jane 67, b. H.B. Territory

As far as I know, I have no connection to this family. I don't know if this
is any help, or just adds confusion as to Maria 's family name. I'm afraid I
can't help with Jane's name, either.
Roger MacPherson