NOVA-SCOTIA-L Archives

Archiver > NOVA-SCOTIA > 1999-05 > 0927645130

From: <>
Subject: [NOVA-SCOTIA-L] Col. Joseph Barton summary
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:12:10 EDT

Thanks to everyone who sent me information about Col. Joseph Barton! I
thought I would summarize what I had learned, for anyone who was
interested, and ask if anyone had anything more that they could add. In
particular, I'd like to know if Joseph Barton remarried when he moved to
Digby, Nova Scotia and which of his heirs were granted land in Canada.

1) "The Case of Lt. Colonel Joseph Barton - Late of New Jersey". North
Jersey Highlander, Vol.11, No. 1 (Sprint 1975) issue 38, pp.3-27. The
life of Joseph Barton from his move from Sussex County, New Jersey, to
Digby, Nova Scotia. He was a lieutenant in the New Jersey Blues in 1758
and later a lieutenant-colonel in the New Jersey Volunteers. There is a
copy of Barton's memorial, as presented to the British government. Bound
in this copy is also the following: an inventory of the personal property
of those who left their homes and joined the enemy, Isaac Martin,
Esquire, and Major Samuel Meeker appointed commisioners; tells what
happened to the property of those in the New Jersey Volunteers. Also, an
account of Joseph Barton's early activities as a Loyalist soldier and
also those of Patrick Hagerty, who went to Digby, Stephen Delancy who
went to Clements Township, and Ruben Hankinson who went to Sissiboo River.

2) The Loyalists of New Jersey - E.Alfred Jones page 22 shows:Joseph
Barton (Lieut.-Colonel)
He was a farmer of Newtown (now Newton) Susses County N.J. and was born
in America about 1723. He was an agent for the East Jersey Proprietors.
>From 1775 until the Summer of 1776 he wa a member of the House of
Assembly for Sussex County, and not only opposed the measures of the
Provincial Congress in the early stages of the Revolution, but was "the
only member of Assembly who voted against Governor Franklin's
imprisonment as an enemy to the liberties of his country." He joined the
British army in 1776, and was appointed by General Sir William Howe to
raise a Battalion for the New Jersey Volunteers, and took command of the
First Battalion from November 7, 1776. He was captures on Staten Island,
Aug.22, 1777. Peter Hopkins, formerly a member of the House of Assembly
of New Jersey, and James Broderick, of Sussex County, both presumably
Loyalists, testified on oath to Barton's property before David Mathews,
last Mayor of New York under the Crown, on September 10, 1783. (Audit
Office 12:90)

3) With the Barton papers are a copy of the inquisition and proceedings
against him in New Jersey as a Loyalist; the original certificate of
Governor Franklin to his loyalty, dated September 1, 1779; a list of his
losses; schedules of his property, and lists of bonds, with the names of
his debtors and the amounts. His son was in possession of part of his
property in New Jersey in 1786, while he himself was an exile at Digby,
in Nova Scotia. This son was probably Henry L. Barton, born c1761, who
was Ensign from 1780 in the 1st New Jersey Volunteers and Lieutenant from
1782, and who was on the half pay list until 1802. (Index:5605-6, and
Stryker, New Jersey Volunteers)

4) Revolutionary Census of New Jersey by Stryker-Rodda shows Joseph
Barton in Newton Twp., Sussex County in 1773-1774. In 1778-1780 census
Henry Barton in shown in Amwell Twp., Hunterdon County NJ.

5) Documents relating to the Revolutionary History of the State of New
Jersey, Vol II 1778. p. 8 states that Mrs. Barton...died of the Samll-Pox
in her 48th year. It continues "she had been driven with 7 small children
from their estate in Sussex County...whilst the Lieutenant Colonel was
Prisoner at Weathersfield in Connecticut.

6) On page 23 of the same book, "Died since our last John Barton, aged 15
years, and Joseph Barton, aged 6 years...Since the Colonel's Confinement
he has lost his Wife and three Sons."

7) Col. Barton was on the list of Seconded officers, Prince of Wales'
American Volunteers from 1792 (War Office 24:711, Index 5605). The sum
of 1,814 lbs. was granted to him as compensation from his claim of 3,955
pounds, 6 shillings (Audit Office 12:109) A long list of his confiscated
properties and the names of the previous owners is in Ontario Archives
;;.600-5, together with the names of some purchasers. Evidence in his
favor as "an honest and loyal subject" was given by Oliver de Lancey and
Governor Franklin, April 30, 1781.

8) Col. Barton appears on the Muster Roll of Discharged Officers and
Disbanded Soldiers and Loyalists Town of Digby, Nova Scotia May 29, 1784
as a Disbanded Officer with 3 family members. Considering that his wife
and 3 sons died by 1778, who are the three family members?

9) "History of a Farm" published in 1916 states that James Edsall, who
married Charlotte Barton, and Benjamin Barton, who married Hannah Edsall,
put up bail for Joseph Barton after his arrest but was forfeited when he
did not show up for trial.

10) Procedings of Loyalist Commissioners Halifax 1786, p. 603, indicates
that Col. Barton gave his estate to his son (Benjamin) and his son-in-law
(who is reported to be Dr. John Hinchman, who married Abigail Barton).

11) Geography and History of Digby County , Nova Scotia by Isaiah W.
Wilson 1985, Page 370.
says, "The circumstances attending demise of Joseph Barton, Lieutenant
Colonel of a New Jersey Volunteer Regiment in the British Service during
the American Revolution, as described to the Author, were particularly
distressing. Amidst the convivialities surrounding the bar-room of Reid's
Hotel in Digby during a winter evening, the guests were discussing their
work and prospects. The social glass had increased thei self confidence
and ardour, while removing temporarily the caution so necessary in
clearing forests.

Lt.-Col. Barton though never having felled a tree, bravely insisted he
could do so unaided, as expeditiuosly and successfully as the most
experienced. Dr. Joseph Marvin expostulated , but Col Barton eagerly
laid a higher wager to that effect. Not to be outdone, the Doctor
complied. On following day, the Colonel coolly chopped a lofty Birch on
his premises adjoining "Birch Place"___which alas , levelled him to the
ground , mortally wounded! He was buried February 19th , 1788 according
to record's evidence. This speaks in thunder tones to the rash and
thoughtless!!

12) From the Digby County Death index, we have Lt. Col. Joseph Barton
buried Feb.19,1788

13) In The Hatfield Grant of 1801, the heirs of Joseph Barton are granted
1250 acres. Who are his heirs?

So, we have evidence of 7 small children who were driven from their
estate in Sussex County. Of these, we have information for Benjamin
Barton (d. 1830), Henry L. Barton (b. 1761), John Barton (1763-1777/78),
Joseph Barton (1772-1777/78), Charlotte Barton, one more son (d.1777/78).
We're left wondering which children went to Nova Scotia with him and
which heirs received land grants. If anyone can give me any additional
information, I would extremely grateful!

Thanks,
Bambi Dingman -

This thread: