NOVA-SCOTIA-L Archives

Archiver > NOVA-SCOTIA > 2001-03 > 0983770023

From: "fred dakin" <>
Subject: Re: [NS-L] Re: Diary Questions.
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:27:03 -0500

Carol Taggart asked a couple of questions and maybe I can answer a couple of
them.
She mentioned the following:

All you Maritimers have patience...and excuse my ignorance...but could any
of you comment of what some of these things are..
What are:
tamarinds
whortleberries
had tongues and sound for dinner ???
There was some other "kind" of fish in there that James said he caught and
they ate for supper or breakfast...but looking now I can't find it. Know
"Mackeral"..this was something else..oh well, the more I look the less
likely I am to find it.
Would like comments on above, though.

Not sure about tamarinds as they are some kind of seed from a tree in the
West Indies. Hard to know what he may have had.

Whortleberries - There are many local names for different berries but I
think I remember the whortleberries being red and sweet.

Tongues - these are the tongues cut out of codfish

Sounds - I think we called this "cheeks," which is the portion of flesh cut
out of the cod fish just under the eye. Tongues and cheeks are the tastiest
part of the codfish!

Mackerel - This is a fish that looks like a tiny tuna and hangs around the
shore chasing herring. They are plentiful in Nova Scotia especially in the
Fall when they are used for lobster bait. They run from about 1/2 pound to
usually 2-3 pounds. A very tasty fish also I might add and is one of my
favourites! They have the speed of a bullet and are one of the hardest
fighting fish in the sea for their size. Well, it seems that way when you
catch them on a rod. They are silver color with black stripes on them.
Here is a picture if you would like to see them .
http://pollux.geog.ucsb.edu/~dennison/spring98/biogeoglab/biogeoglab.html
Let me know if this link doesn't work.

Hopes this helps a bit.

Fred Dakin