NOVA-SCOTIA-L Archives

Archiver > NOVA-SCOTIA > 2009-08 > 1251185105

From: "Kim Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [NS-L] [NS-CB] CAPE BRETON CEMETERIES ON LINE
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:25:05 -0700

Excuse me, but not being publicly available, and not being publicly
available for free, are very different things.

The CBHGA cemetery listings are very available to the public, for a very
reasonable membership fee. To ignore that fact is wearing blinders. CBHGA
is not Ancestry in sheep's clothing.

Freely available, and free, are both very different from the multitude of
records that are not available under any circumstances. If I recall
correctly, it was Bob who gave a very good list serve lecture recently on
how free genealogy is not really free -- someone has to pay for that server
and bandwidth. It can be governments, it can be advertisers, it can be
cooperative associations -- but someone has to pay. The free lunch does not
exist, even for genealogists.

If there is anyone on these lists who is a connoisseur of the free lunch --
in the very literal sense -- it is myself. My waistline will attest to my
appreciation of that opportunity. But even then, someone was paying. My
taxpayers, their taxpayers. Really free, sorry. File that chit. Even
clean air to breathe is not free, as the apparatus in my basement will
attest.

Were the "free" GenWeb system be capable of handling what could be made
available for free, great. Newfoundland does a great job, Nova Scotia falls
far behind. It lacks the bandwidth, it lacks the volunteer manpower to put
on line what people like myself have offered it for free. When is the last
time any Nova Scotia county GenWeb site put up new material? It is
literally years behind in getting on line what could be published. That is
why people like myself are looking to "members only" sites to get their
material published. I get nothing for it -- it is offered to them for free,
in the same way as I have in the past offered it for free to GenWeb sites.
but it is not "free" to get it on line for others to use.

Genealogists are working with a model that has been overtaken by volume.
And those with regional interests are in a bind. The big sites like
Ancestry do not get down enough into the weeds to serve our needs. They
think in terms of nations, not counties; and the GenWeb sites lack the
funding and volunteer manpower to serve our needs. It may be short-lived,
but the "members only" sites of local and regional organizations (like the
CBHGA and the GANS) seem to offer an avenue into the future. Better to pay
and get it rather than not being able to get it under any circumstances.
And include their material in regional indices.

To ignore "Members only" sites as "non-public" is folly.

Regards,

Kim Stevens