NS-CAPE-BRETON-L ArchivesArchiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2001-10 > 1002567874
From: joseph macdonald <>
Subject: [NS-CB-L] PLACE NAMES - CAPE BRETON
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:04:34 -0300
At this time of year many Cape Bretoners and visitors set out to enjoy
the fall colours of the Cabot Trail so let us follow the Trail for this
journey. We'll begin our journey at South Haven. Here we will leave the
Trans Canada and set off on the Cabot Trail.
Ref. Place Names and Places of Nova Scotia
SOUTH HAVEN, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 631
South Haven is a small settlement at the head of St. Anns Harbour. One
of the first settlers was Donald McLeod who arrived here in 1820 and was
granted land in 1828.
ST ANNS, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 593
The settlement of St. Anns is located by St. Anns Harbour. The Indian
name was "Mchagadichk". captain Daniel of Dieppe, a member of the
Company of New France is supposed to have first given it the name of
"St. Ann". In 1713 St. Ovide changed the name of St. Anns to Port
Dauphin, but the name given it by Daniel when he built a fort there in
Two people received permission to occupy seven hundred and fifty acres
here between May 27, 1795 and JUne 29, 1798. the first English settlers
however, were from Pictou in 1820. They were Rev. Norman McLeod and his
followers known as Normanites. They were originally from
Sutherlandshire, Scotland. Rev. Norman McLeod not only established the
first Presbyterian congregation in Cape Breton here but he erected a
school in 1829. St. Anns is the site of the only Gaelic college outside
of the British Isles founded in 1938 by Rev. Angus W. R. MacKenzie who
saw a need for such a cultural centre in Canada.
MCLEOD POINT, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 395
McLeod Point is in St. Anns Harbour. It was named after Rev. Norman
McLeod, a famous Scottish Clergyman who crossed the Atlantic to Pictou
in 1817, went to St. Anns in 1820 and proceeded to Australia in 1851 and
afterwards to New Zealand.
Next is GOOSE COVE, but Place Names has no information on Goose Cove.
QUARRY ST. ANNS, VICTORIA COUNTY, P. 567
This settlement is situated west of St. Anns Harbour. Among the grantees
were Andrew MacIntosh, 1841, John McLean, 1872, Charles W. K. MacCurdy,
1878. In the 1890's an American Company mined plaster and tripolite
HARBOURVIEW has no information on it in Place Names.
MEADOW, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 422
Meadow is a locality near the North River. Among the grantees were
George Anderson, Jr., E.L. Spike and William N. Anderson, 1872.
The population was 64 in 1956.
NORTH RIVER CENTRE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 495
The settlement of North River Centre is beside the North River. It was
settled by Scots from the island of Harris and Lewis in the Hebrides
between 1828 and 1840. There were gypsum quarries in operation here in
NORTH RIVER BRIDGE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 495
The settlement of North River Bridge is situated north of St. Ann's
Harbour. The area was first settled by Scots from the Islands of Lewis
and Harris in the Hebrides between 1828 and 1840. A Presbyterian Church
was built here between 1857 and 1865. There was a school in North River
district by 1867.
TARBOT (spelling in Place Names has it as TARBET) p. 665
The settlement of Tarbet is located west of St. Anns Bay. It was
probably named after a place in Scotland. Among grantees were Duncan
Smith, 1880 and Neil McDonald. There was a school in the district by
TARBOTVALE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 665 (see Tarbot)
INDIAN BROOK, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 303
Indian Brook is a settlement west of St. Anns Bay. It was named after a
Micmac Indian who lived in the vicinity. Among the grantees were
Alexander McLellan, 1834 and Donald Campbell, 1871. The first Church
here was probably the Presbyterian Church which was built between 1857
and 1865, but not finished until thirty years later.
NORTH SHORE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 496
North Shore is located north of St. Ann's Harbour. The first settlers
here were named Doyle, Curtis, Kehoe and two other Irish families, who
removed to Ingonish sometime before 1828. The first school was built
here by 1854.
The population in 1956 was 70.
LITTLE RIVER, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 361
This settlement is located along a cove of the same name Ocean, north of
St. Anns Bay. Among the grantees were Roderick Grant, 1833, Kenneth
McAulay, 1840 and Donald McDonald, 1867.
BRETON COVE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 81
This is a settlement north-east of Baddeck, on the Atlantic Ocian. Among
the first grantees was John McInnes, 1859. Breton Cove had a lobster
factory, a saw mill and a grist mill in 1904.
The population in 1904 was 57.
SKIR DHU, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 625
The settlement of Skir Dhu is located between Breton Cove and Wreck
Cove. Skir Dhu was a Gaelic word meaning "black rock." Among the
grantees were Roderick McDonald, 1851, Neil McDonald, 1871, and George
The population in 1956 was 51.
FRENCH RIVER, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 222
This settlement is located near the mouth of the river of the same name
north of St. Anns Bay. There were 182 people between French River and
Wreck Cove in 1838 including families with such names as Eben McLeod,
John McInnes, Thomas Urquhart, Norman Hugh McLeod, John McLeod,
Alexander Ross, and John McLennan. The first church was probably the
Presbyterian Church which was begun between 1857 and 1865 but not
finished until some thirty years later. There was a school in the
district by 1867. Industry has included and ice-skate manufacturing
enterprise in 1900 and shipyard in 1922.
BIRCH PLAIN, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 67
This is a settlement north of St. Anns on Mill Brook. Among the first
people granted land were Norman McLeod, 1835, Isabel McQueen, 1868 and
Malcolm MacAskill, 1871.
WRECK COVE, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 746
This is a small settlement south of Aspy Bay. It was apparently named
for a vessel which was wrecked there. The ship had put in for water and
the sailors found some diversions on shore. A storm blew up that night
and the ship should have put to sea to ride it out but the sailors were
reluctant to leave a dance so the ship was wrecked. Among the grantees
were Alexander MacKenzie, 1839, John Morrison, 1868 and Norman McLeod in
The population in 1956 was 79.
INGONISH FERRY, VICTORIA COUNTY, p. 307
Ingonish Ferry is a settlement north of Cape Smoky. Among the grantees
were Kenneth McLeod, 1874, charles Campbell, 1879, and John McDonald,
1879. There were three lobster factories here in 1904.
The population in 1956 was 117.
TO BE CONTINUED......
|[NS-CB-L] PLACE NAMES - CAPE BRETON by joseph macdonald <>|