NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2004-07 > 1089340604

From: Vincent MacNeil <>
Subject: Re: [NS-CB-L] Roll Call - Connors (Lingan); Hall (Lingan); Day andHandrigan
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:38:00 -0300

Hello Fran,
Here is what I have on John Hanrahan "Handerkin". This is a work
in progress and may contain mistakes. Vince

First Generation

1. Mary Lee. Born about 1776.[1] Mary died in February 1869, she was
93.[2] (Likely the daughter of Thomas (Alexander) Lee) who settled at
Lingan).

Death record says in the presence of Lawrence Laffin and Thomas Lee.

On June 16, 1796 when Mary was 20, she first married John Hanrahan
"Handerkin" "Henderson", in St. George's Anglican Church, Sydney, Nova
Scotia.[3] John died ? May 19, 1800.[3] Occupation: Lt. Infantry Capt.
Allen's Comp R.N.I.R.

They had the following children:
2 i. Walter (~1796-)
ii. Bridget.

Married in the presence of Michael Neron, Edward Hall, Ruxell Hall.
(This Ruxell Hall is connected to the Halls you are inquiring about).

On October 2, 1839 Bridget married Richard Neron ?, in Sacred Heart
Church, Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.[2]

On September 18, 1804 when Mary was 28, she second married Lawrence
Laffin, in St. George's Anglican Church, Sydney, Nova Scotia.[3]
Lawrence died in August 1856 in Sacred Heart Church, Sydney, Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia.[2]

They had the following children:
i. Richard (Died Unmarried). Born about 1813.[4]

3 ii. John (~1820-<1871)
4 iii. Thomas (~1821-)

Second Generation

2. Walter Hanrahan. Born about 1796.[4]

Census of 1871:
93 96 Hanrahan Walter M 75 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
93 96 Hanrahan Margaret F 65 Ireland Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
93 96 Hanrahan Margaret F 24 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
93 96 Hanrahan Barbara F 19 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1

Walter married Margaret Shean. Born about 1806.[4]

They had the following children:
5 i. John (~1834-)
ii. Richard. Richard died on May 26, 1861.[2]

iii. Mary. Mary died on February 2, 1865.[2]

iv. Michael. Michael died on November 9, 1863.[2]

6 v. Bridget (-<1871)
7 vi. Flora (~1841-)
vii. Margaret. Born about 1847.

viii. Barbara. Born about 1852.

3. John Laffin.

On April 30, 1833 John married Mary Mullins, in Sacred Heart Church,
Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Born about 1821 in Low Point, Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia.[4]

They had the following children:
8 i. Lawrence (~1835-)
ii. Patrick. Born about 1840.

iii. John. Born about 1846.

John married Honora Sheehan.

iv. Bridget. Born about 1849.

v. Michael. Born about 1853.

vi. Kate. Born about 1854.

4. Thomas Laffin. Born about 1821.[4]

about 1847 when Thomas was 26, he married Harriet. Born about 1816.

They had the following children:
i. Lawrence. Born about 1848.

ii. Bridget. Born about 1850.

iii. Margaret. Born about 1854.

iv. John. Born on November 10, 1857.

Third Generation

5. John Hanrahan. Born about 1834.[4]

Census of 1871:
6 6 Hanrahan John M 37 NS M Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Bridget F 32 NS M Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Walsh Mary F 21 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Walter M 14 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Michael M 13 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Mary F 12 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Richard M 9 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Jamie M 7 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan John M 5 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
6 6 Hanrahan Bart M 4 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1

On January 30, 1856 when John was 22, he married Bridget Connors,
daughter of Bartholemew Connors & Mary Oram, in Lingan, Cape Breton,
Nova Scotia. Born about 1839.[4]

They had the following children:
i. Walter Thomas (1856-)
ii. Mary (~1858-)
iii. Michael (1858-)
iv. Richard (~1862-)
v. Jamie (~1864-)
vi. John (~1866-)
vii. Bart (~1867-)

6. Bridget Hanrahan. Bridget died before 1871.

21 21 McNamara William M 40 Ireland M Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara John M 38 NS W Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 Morrison Mary F 22 Scotland Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara William M 14 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara Walter M 12 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara Mary F 10 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara Michel M 6 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1
21 21 McNamara John M 2 NS Catholic H1 Lingan Mines 1

about 1856 Bridget married William MacNamara. Born about 1831.[4]

They had the following children:
i. William (1856-)
ii. Walter (~1859-)
iii. Mary (~1861-)
iv. Michael (~1865-)
v. John (~1869-)

7. Flora Hanrahan. Born about 1841 in Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.[4]

about 1863 when Flora was 22, she married Michael MacNeil. Born about
1841.[4]

They had the following children:
i. Sarah (~1864-)
ii. Mary (~1867-)
iii. Catherine (~1868-)
iv. Mary Ann (~1869-)

8. Lawrence Laffin. Born about 1835.

Laffin Lawrence m 36 Miner m
Ellan f 35 m
Bridget f 14
Mary f 12
Kate f 10
John m 9
Duncan m 7
Ambrose m 3
Richard m 10mos May

On January 31, 1856 when Lawrence was 21, he married Ellen Doyle,
daughter of Maurice "Miles" Doyle (~1799-) & Bridget Hays (ca1803-), in
Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Born about 1836 in Lingan, Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia.

They had the following children:
i. Bridget (~1857-)
ii. Mary (~1859-)
iii. Kate (~1861-)
iv. John (~1862-)
v. Theresa (~1864-)
vi. Ambrose (~1868-)
vii. Richard (1871-)

1. This person's birth date is an estimate based on the birth dates of
his/her siblings, spouse and or descendants.
2. "Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Parish Records, Sydney, Nova Scotia."
3. "St. George's Anglican Church, Sydney, Nova Scotia."
4. "Nova Scotia Census of 1871."