NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2004-09 > 1095873842

From: "Don MacFarlane" <>
Subject: RE: [NS-CB-L] "ALEXANDER MACNEIL" of St.Rose (a.k.a Broad Cove Ponds)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:24:02 -0400

Some excerpts from "Drummer on Foot" below:

Donald {Gillis (Oban)} moved to Cape Breton when a young man. He married
Margaret McNeil, daughter of Alexander McNeil, (Saor), Broad Cove Ponds, now
called St. Rose. He lived for a while at Upper S.W. Margaree, and later at
St. Rose. Subsequently he and his family moved to Codroy, Nfld., where he
prospered. Many of his descendants must be living there now, for he had a
large family, - nine sons and several daughters. They are said to have been
very enterprising and progressive, and pursuing a maritime life, several of
them were sea captains, owning vessels of their own.

*****

Donald (Hugh's Son)
Donald McIsaac, Hugh, was married to Mary, daughter of Alex. McPherson,
tailor, who went to Broad Cove, Inv. County, from some part of Antigonish
Co., and was married to a daughter of John McNeil, Saor.

Donald (Hugh's) family consisted of Archy, a comfortable farmer with family
on the homestead; Hugh, who died years ago; Mary, Penelope, Sarah, widow of
John McNeil, St. Rose; Flora, Mrs. Donald McDougall, Rear: Ann, Mrs. Alex.
McDonald, Up. Margaree; Catherine, Mrs. Alex. H. McDougall, his first
marriage. The last three are dead, and one or two more died young.

*****

Regards,
Don MacFarlane

See MacFarlane and related genealogies here:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maritime/Maritime_Mosaic/