NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2009-03 > 1237019159

From: (Carol MacLean)
Subject: [NS-CB] Cape Breton Deaths March 14, 2009 Saturday
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 01:29:55 -0800

Cape Breton Deaths March 14, 2009 Saturday

There are 7 obituaries for March 14, 2009.

1. Bisson (Beaton), Myrtle M - published March 13, 2009

2. Cormier, Joseph F - published March 13, 2009

3. Morrison, Catherine 'Tootie' A - published March 13, 2009

4. Stevens, Elsie M - published March 13, 2009

5. Timmons, Sarah A - published March 13, 2009

6. Wareham, Gilbert 'Gib' J - published March 13, 2009

7. Selmenci, Dorothy - published March 13, 2009

Myrtle Bisson (Beaton), New Waterford Myrtle Marie (Beaton) Bisson New
Waterford 1916-2009 - It is with saddened hearts we announce the passing of
our beautiful and beloved mother. Myrtle (Beaton) Bisson, a daughter of the
late Jack and Ellie (MacNeil) Beaton, passed away peacefully at the New
Waterford Consolidated Hospital on March 12, 2009, surrounded by her family
and special friends. Our mother was first and foremost a woman of faith,
integrity, humour and a true lady. This was always evident in her
encounters with every person she met (whether young or old). She always had
a kind word for all. Her faith was her foundation which she carried within
her heart and soul until the end. Throughout her life our mother as a
young woman was very athletic. She won medals for swimming, running,
baseball, and played badminton and skated well into her seventies. After
her children grew up, she studied at U.C.C.B. for seven years and obtained
a Theology degree proceeding to teach Religious Education for fourteen
years. Myrtle also belonged to the alumni at U.C.C.B. and was also on the
Advisory committee of the Family Service. She was appointed president of
St. Agnes Parish Council for several years and also served as a lector in
the church. Myrtle belonged to the Catholic Family Marriage Council as well
for several years. She is survived by nine children, Sharon (Myles)
MacNeil, New Waterford, Camille (Johnny) MacNeil, Boston, Mass., Ann
'Nippy' (Kenneth) Williams, New Waterford, Sherrie (Buddy) Palmer,
Burlington, Ont., Cornell (Mona ) Bisson, Mississauga, Ont.,Sheldon (Joan)
Bisson, Sackville, N.S.,Verna Bisson, Halifax, George (Betty-lou) Bisson,
New Waterford, and youngest, Patsy Bisson, Sydney; one sister, Greta
(Beaton) Durkacz, Hamilton, Ont.; 23 grandchildren and 28
great-grandchildren. Myrtle is predeceased by her beloved husband, John E.
Bisson; son Raymond Bisson; daughter Lynn Marie, who was a twin, in
infancy; several grandchildren, Lynn Marie MacNeil, Sharon Marie MacNeil
(daughters of Sharon (Myles) MacNeil), Deborah Ann and Dianne Rochelle
Williams (daughters of Ann 'Nippy' and Ken Williams); two sisters Mary
Beaton, Shirley (Beaton) MacDougall, and three brothers James, Russell and
Greg Beaton.
There will be no visitation. Cremation has taken place under the care and
direction of V.J. McGillivray Funeral Home, 380 Smith St., New Waterford. A
funeral mass of celebration for Myrtle will be held Monday, March 16 at 10
a.m. in the Parish of St. Leonard, St. Michael Church, River Ryan, with
Father Doug MacDonald officiating. Interment will be in St. Agnes Cemetery
at a later date. A luncheon will be held immediately following the funeral
mass at St. Agnes Hall on Convent Street, New Waterford. Donations in her
memory may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society. On-line expressions of
sympathy may be sent to the family at: www.vjmcgillivray.ca We would like
to express our sincerest and heartfelt appreciation to Dr. Mohammed Awad
for all the compassion and concern that he gave to our mother. For this she
held him in the highest esteem.
Also, our sincerest gratitude is extended to all staff on Medical Floor at
the New Waterford Consolidated Hospital. Special thanks is extended to RN,
Julia (Yolanda) Penney-Darling; RN, Angela Parsons; RN, Agnes MacLellan,
RN, Tanya MacDonald, RN, Cindy Nicholson- Pozzebon; LPN, Debbie MacLellan;
LPN, Brenda Drake, and LPN, Ann MacDonald, for treating our mother with the
utmost dignity and respect and for this she loved you. Also to Deacon Leo
Penny for his kindness and compassion for our mother. Special thanks to our
sister-in-law, Betty-lou (George) Bisson and Edna (Kevin) Bisson and
children whom she loved dearly. In closing, our mother's philosophy on life
was " It is our faith that compels us to believe, even when we cannot
explain to others why or how. By our faith, we only know in whom we trust.
And that is sufficient".
Joseph Cormier, Inverness at Margaree , Nova Scotia , Canada - Joseph
Fabien Cormier, 90 of Margaree, died March 11, 2009 in the Inverness
Consolidated Memorial Hospital, Inverness. Born in Margaree, he was a son
of the late John and Mary Ann (Deveaux) Cormier. He was a veteran of the
Second World War.
He was a member of St. Michael's Church, Margaree. He is survived by his
wife, Annie Rose (Doucet) Cormier; three sons, Leonel (Beatrice), Margaree,
Bernie, Dartmouth, Clarence (Paula), Margaree; five daughters, Pauline
Dunn, Margaree Forks, Germaine (Alphonse) Cormier, Huntsville, Ont., Delina
(Mark) Siddall, Mississauga, Ont., Lorraine, Margaree and Yvonne (Russ)
Harris, Ingersoll, Ont.; one brother, Henry Cormier, Inverness; one sister,
Rebecca Gallagher, Inverness; 22 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren. He
was predeceased by his wife, Annie Mae LeBlanc (1966); two sons, Marcel
Cormier (1981), Armand Cormier (2004) and two sons in infancy; three
brothers, Hubert, Mose, Leo Paul; four sisters, Lucy Vadenburghe, Theresa
Schoen, Catherine and Emma. Visitation will be held at the family
residence, 1298 Margaree, East Margaree from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sunday,
March 15, 2009. Funeral mass will be celebrated at St. Michael's Church,
Margaree on Monday, March 16 at 11 a.m. with Fr. Jim MacDonald officiating.
Interment in the parish cemetery. Donations may be made to the Heart &
Stroke Foundation of N.S. or the Canadian Cancer Society. Funeral
arrangements are under the direction of Cheticamp Funeral Services Ltd.
Catherine 'Tootie' Morrison, Whitney Pier at Sydney Forks , Nova Scotia ,
Canada
- Catherine Ann Carrie Morrison, 87 of Whitney Pier, passed away Friday,
March 13, 2009 at home. Born in Sydney, she was the daughter of the late
Alex and Margaret (Livingston) MacNeil. She was a member of Holy Redeemer
parish. Prior to her marriage, she worked the switchboard at Sydney Steel
Corp. She is survived by a daughter, Mary, Calgary; sons, Paul (Brenda),
Bible Hill, Charles (Marlene), Dartmouth, Adrian (Heather), Sydney River;
loving grandchildren, Krystle, Vanessa, Keigan, Travis, Andrew and Ryan.
She was predeceased by her husband, Donald Joseph; son, Bernard, a daughter
in infancy; sister, Mary and brothers, Blaise and Joseph. Funeral mass for
the late Catherine Morrison will be celebrated on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. at
Holy Redeemer Church with Rev. Errol MacDonald officiating. Interment in
Resurrection Cemetery, Sydney Forks. Donations may be made to the Canadian
Heart & Stroke Foundation, Canadian Diabetes Association, Holy Redeemer
Building Fund or a charity of choice. Online condolences may be sent to

or
www.mem.com.
Elsie Stevens, Sydney at Mill Village , Nova Scotia , Canada - Elsie Merle
Stevens of Sydney River (formerly of East Bay) passed away peacefully on
Thursday, March 12, 2009, at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, Sydney.
Born in Mill Village, Hants County, she was the daughter of the late George
and Emma (Rines) Parker. Elsie met husband, Jack while working in Truro and
willingly changed her occupation to that of a full-time housewife and
mother. Her various interests are reflective of her lifelong commitment to
spouse, family and friends. She was active in the Engineering Wives
Association of Nova Scotia and was a lifetime member of the UCW. Her
marriage of over 50 years to Jack was highlighted by many areas of common
pursuit including curling, leisure travel, and card playing, particularly
enjoying the opportunity of playing in several social bridge clubs. Yet,
another passion was golfing. In an era when they were rare, Elsie was one
of the first "lefties" traversing the Lingan Golf Club fairways. The
advent of grandchildren brought out the loving duty of presiding over the
weekly Sunday feast. Just a faint hint of praise was all it took to ensure
that Elsie's passion for cooking and baking would produce a sumptuous meal
with all the trimmings. She was predeceased by husband, Jack, five sisters
and six brothers. Elsie is survived by daughter, Pam Stevens; son-in-law,
Dave Johnston and grandchildren, Steven and Lauren Johnston, all of Sydney.
Also surviving are sister, Marjorie Harrison (Wally), California;
sisters-in- law, Pat Parker, Amherst, N.S. and Thelma Pepper, Saskatoon. In
addition are several surviving nieces and nephews, including the following
of whom were especially close to Elsie, Beth Couillard (John), Petticodiac,
N.B., Stewart Mann (Joy), Hilden, N.S. and Skip Walsh (Shirley),
Collingwood, N.S.
Cremation has occurred. At Elsie's request, there will be no visitation. A
memorial service will be held 11 a.m. Monday, March 16 at Sydney River
United Protestant Church., with Rev. Dana Feltmate officiating. A reception
will follow in MacLeod Hall. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to
the Salvation Army or a charity of one's choice. Condolences may be sent to
the family at
.
Sarah Timmons, Reserve Born in 23/12/1985 at Glace Bay , Nova Scotia , Canada
- It is with heavy hearts that we announce the sudden passing of our
beloved Sarah Anne Timmons on Thursday, March 12, 2009. Born on December
23, 1985 in Glace Bay, Sarah was the daughter of Kathy Timmons (Brent
Hawryluk), Sydney and the late Bernie Timmons (Joanne Timmons), Port
Morien. Sarah worked for the Cape Breton County Home Makers for the past
three years. She loved sitting down talking to her clients and just enjoyed
her job. One of Sarah's favorite past times was going fishing and enjoying
the outdoors. She had a great compassion for animals and loved her dog
Jessie. Sarah also loved to spend time with her friends and family. She is
survived by two brothers, Jamie and Nicholas Timmons; grandparents, Karen
Hines (MacDonald), Reserve Mines, Mary Timmons and the late James Timmons,
Port Morien, grandfather Reginald MacDonald, Newfoundland, aunts, uncles,
cousins, many friends and the Blades family, which she considered her
extended family. Visitation will take place on Sunday, from 2-4, 7-9 p.m.
in the V.J. McGillivray Funeral Home, 16 Reserve St., Glace Bay. The
funeral mass officiated by Rev. Conrad Edwards will be held on Monday at 10
a.m. in St. Mary's Church, Port Morien followed by a reception at the fire
hall. Interment will be held at a later date in St. Paul's Anglican
Cemetery, Blackbrook.
As an expression of sympathy for Sarah Anne, donations in her memory may be
made to the S.P.C.A. Condolences to the family can be expressed through the
funeral home website
www.vjmcgillivray.ca.
Lord, you have called me To be by your side, I have left the loved ones
That I have loved so much. Please take my place near them.
Gilbert 'Gib' Wareham, Sydney at Sydney , Nova Scotia , Canada Gilbert
'Gib' Joyce Wareham 81, Sydney River = It is with heavy hearts that we
announce the passing of our dear father and husband, Gilbert Wareham, on
Friday March 13, 2009 at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, Sydney;
surrounded by his loving family. Born in Sydney, he was the son of the late
Gilbert and Violet (Graham) Wareham. Gilbert was employed at the Scotsburn
Dairy until his retirement. He enjoyed spending time with his family and
playing the guitar. He was a member of the Fisherman's Society, Whitney
Pier. Gilbert is survived by his wife, Joan, three daughters, Violet (Ken)
Manning, Lillian Miller, (Hughie Sheppard), Donna Wareham; two sons, Shawn
(Wallena Hickey), all of Sydney, David (Priscilla), Westmount. He is also
survived by one sister, Margaret (Walter) Tucker, and sister-in-law,
Blanche Wareham, both of Sydney, as well as eight grandchildren; two
great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews. Besides his parents,
he was predeceased by his two sisters, Pauline and Georgina; two brothers,
William 'Bill', and Agustus 'Gus' . Visitation will be held Monday March
16, 2009 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at the S.W. Chant & Son Funeral Home, 564
Alexandra St., Sydney. Funeral service will be held 1 p.m. Tuesday March
17, 2009 at the S.W. Chant & Son Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Brenda Drake
officiating. Burial to follow in Forest Haven Memorial Gardens. Donations
may be made to charity of one's choice. Many thanks to the staff of the
Cape Breton Regional Hospital for their special care. Online condolences
may be sent to our webpage at
www.chantfuneralhome.com.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction of...
Dorothy (Braun) Selmenci, London, Ontario - Peacefully at VIctoria
Hospital, London, with her husband at her side, on Thursday, March 5, 2009,
in her 77th year. Dorothy Ann Selmenci, beloved wife of Andy. Predeceased
by her parents, Andrew and Gizella Braun. Dear mother of daughater, Carol
Harper and her husband, Kim. Cherished grandmother of ben and Meghan.
Dorothy will be sadly missed by all her many relatives and friends, both in
Canada and the USA. Thank you for all your prayers and support over the
past two years. Thank you also to Dr. I. Harle, Dr. J. Younus, Dr. J.
Oluyemi (Dr. J.J.) and L. Kligman N.P. Also thanks to the nurses and staff
at Victoria Hospital oncologgy and palliative care units and to the London
Regional Cancer Centre. Should you wish to make a donations in memory of
Dorothy, please consider the London Health Sciences Foundation = Victoria
Hospital Palliative Care Unit, 747 Baseline Rd. E., London, Ontario,
N6C-2R6. Cremation has taken place and internment will be at a later date.
Online condolences accepted at

Cape Breton Deaths courtesy of CBGHA http://www.cbgha.org

This thread: