NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2009-06 > 1245851447

From: "Juanita MacDonald" <>
Subject: [NS-CB] ARCHIBALD MACDONALD & HARRIET DEWEY DEAN of Cape North,Vic Co, CB, NS
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:50:47 -0300

Hello Lee;

Though my sister (Bernardine Campbell), said to reply to you and not her, I've chosen to come by way of the list. Doing so, that your posting doesn't get lost under another subject heading.

Archibald MacDonald (aka Archie) 1811 - Jan 31, 1902; and Harriet Dewey MacDonald 1820-May 10, 1910 graves are located at the Aspy Bay United Church Cemetery, Cape North.

Archibald's birth date according to the 1901 census was 18 Feb 1810 and Harriet's was 27 March 1820.

According to Cape North & Vicinity Archibald's birthdate, was 17 Feb 1810, and d. 1901. Just which information [census, tombstone, or the book] has the correct dates, is anyone's guess, but personally I'd lean towards Rev. D. MacDonald (author of Cape North & Vicinity, 1933), in this case as these people were his ancestors and family.

These MacDonalds (as you probably all ready know Lee), but for others who may not know, are the descendants of JOHN MACDONALD & MARGARET MATHESON of Kilvaxter, Kilmuir, Troternish, Skye Scotland. John & Margaret's two sons Alexander and Archibald came first to Sydney, Cape Breton, in 1828. Alexander would come to Cape North ca, 1835, and Archibald would go to the US, and than later returned to Cape Breton & settle permanently at Cape North. John & Margaret and the rest of their family, from Skye would follow ca 1840 and settle also at Cape North.

Children of JOHN MACDONALD & MARGARET MATHESON, of Skye, Scotland and Cape North, Victoria Co, Cape Breton
01. ALEXANDER, b. Sept. 09, 1804, d. Jan 31, 1894
02. ANGUS, b. May 30, 1807, d. 1882
03. ARCHIBALD, b. Feb 17/18, 1810, d. 1901/1902
04. CATHERINE, b. Aug. 04, 1812
05. DONALD, b. Apr 03, 1815
06. ANN, b. Apr 03, 1818
07. JOHN, b. Dec 17, 1820, d. 1850