NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2009-07 > 1246700819

From: (Carol MacLean)
Subject: [NS-CB] Cape Breton Deaths July 04, 2009 Saturday
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 02:49:21 -0700

Cape Breton Deaths July 04, 2009 Saturday

There are 18 obituaries for July 4, 2009.

1. Bachanski, Peter - published July 4, 2009

2. Brown, Brenton - published July 4, 2009

3. Carrigan, Mora - published July 4, 2009

4. Clancy, Helen J - published July 4, 2009

5. Donovan, Effie - published July 4, 2009

6. Jackman, Clement 'Clem' J - published July 4, 2009

7. Leblanc, Joseph "Gerry" - published July 4, 2009

8. LeMoine, Annie 'Tootsie' J - published July 4, 2009

9. MacKinnon, Duncan Roger - published July 4, 2009

10. Nearing, Mello D - published July 4, 2009

11. Perry, John F - published July 4, 2009

12. Stevens, Elizabeth 'Betty' M - published July 4, 2009

13. Tonary, Gerald A - published July 4, 2009

14. Vassallo, Enid - published July 4, 2009

15. Santucci, Yvonne R, - published July 4, 2009

16. Bowering, Clarence W. & Emma - published July 4, 2009

17. Hart, Marjorie Mae - published July 4, 2009

18. Lewis, Sr. Miriam Carmelita - published July 4, 2009

Peter Bachanski
Peter Bachanski lost his brave battle with cancer, Sunday, June 28, 2009,
peacefully, with his family by his side in Miami, Florida.
He is survived and will be sadly missed by his wife, Albena; daughter, Anna
(husband Jerry); son, Derek (wife Louise) and his grandchildren, Aaron,
Kevin, Mark and, Jill. Peter is also survived by his sister Eva Kandravy
and Olga Simko of Montreal, Quebec. He will be remembered by his many
nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his parents of Sydney, Nova Scotia; brother of the
late Katie, Mary, Helen, Ann, Charlotte, Minnie, Pauline, Sophie and his
brother, Johnny.
Memorial services will take place in Miami, Florida, with cremation and
burial to take place at a later date.

Brenton Brown, Sydney
Born in 12/07/1916 at Sydney , Nova Scotia , Canada
Brenton Brown, 92, of Sydney, passed away Thursday, July 2, 2009, at the
Cape Breton Regional Hospital, Sydney.
Born on July 12, 1916 in Sydney, Brent was the son of the late John David
and Annie (Slaunwhite) Brown.
Brent was a machinist and longtime employee of the Canadian National
Railways. He also worked at the Point Edward Naval Base and the CN Marine
Ferry Terminal, North Sydney. He was a past president of the Industrial
Union of Foundry and Machine Workers, Local No. 1 in Sydney. An avid
angler, he was a member of Saint Andrew's Church, Sydney and the Spanish
River Senior Citizens' Club.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 66 years, Jennie (Cameron); sons,
Barry Brent (Patricia) Brown, Sydney, Bruce John (Tasha) Brown, Halifax,
Calvin James (Debbie) Brown, Sydney and Douglas Arthur (Lars) Brown, Ross
Ferry; nine grandchildren, Adam (Christine) Brown, Andrea Brown Wrathall,
Jason Brown, Marishka Brown, Justin Brown, Aaron Brown, Crystal Brown,
Jennifer Brown and Vanessa Brown; 10 great-grandchildren, Mitchell,
Caitlyn, Amanda, Meghan, Victoria, Willow, Makayla, Dylon, Colby and
Phoenyx; as well as many nieces, nephews and cousins.
His brother, Harold (Agnes Mary Kaloc) Brown; sisters, Maise (Michael)
Krawchuk, Francis (James) MacDonnell; niece, Marilyn MacDonnell and nephew,
Ronald MacDonnell predeceased him.
Cremation has taken place.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to a charity of one's choice.
Condolences may be sent to the family at .

Mrs. Mora Carrigan
Card of Thanks-Carrigan
We the family of the late Mora Belle Carrigan, wish to express our sincere
thanks to relatives, friends and neighbours for their kindness and
expressions of sympathy during our recent bereavement. We gratefully
acknowledge all who sent cards, emails and memorial donations. Special
thanks to Pastor Kevin Richardson, St. Columba Presbyterian Church,
Combined Choir, readers; Russell, Colin and Melissa. The Ladies Guild of
St. Columba for the reception after the Memorial Service. Sincere thanks to
the staff, doctors and nurses of the Palliative Care Unit,C.B. Regional
Hospital for their devoted care. To Sydney Memorial Chapel, thank you for
your support and professional guidance. We especially wish to thank,
Doreen, our personal home care giver who provided such kind and faithful
care to Mora during her long illness. To everyone, your kindness will
always be remembered.
Victor, Ronald (Margaret), Russell, Colin and Scott

Helen Clancy
Helen Jean (O'Neill) Clancy
64, Mexico/Glace Bay
We, the family of the late Jeanie Clancy regret to
announce her untimely death at her home in Guadalupe, Mexico. Her life was
cut short due to a courageous battle with cancer. She was the daughter of
the late Leo and Lolly O'Neill. Jeanie is survived by a son Christopher
(Sandra) and grandson Chris, brothers Joey and Jerry, sisters Patricia,
Elaine, Frances and Mildred. Predeceased by brothers Jackie, Tommy and
Billy and sister Mella. Cremation took place with burial at a later date in
St. John's Cemetery, Glace Bay.

Effie Donovan, Sydney
It is with great sadness we announce that our dear mother, Effie Donovan,
passed away peacefully on July 1, 2009 at the Cape Breton Regional
Hospital, Sydney.
Born Nov. 3, 1934, she was the daughter of the late Bert and Violet MacLeod.
Mom is survived by seven daughters, Mary (Hector) Turner, Halifax, Sylvia
(Harold) Robinson, Ingonish, Maxine (Sheldon) Dauphney, North Shore, Hilda
Donovan, Ontario, Viola, Halifax, Rita (Gary) Stockley, Ingonish, Roxanne
Donovan (Freeman), Ingonish Beach; sons, Deodath and Reece Donovan, Sydney;
18 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
Mom really enjoyed hummingbirds, flowers, bingo and her soaps.
She was predeceased by her husband, Alonzo (Lon), son, Alonzo (Lonnie),
daughter, Janet (Fraser), brothers, James, Wilson, David, sisters,
Catherine and Elizabeth.
There will be no visitation. Graveside service for friends and family will
be held Monday, July 6 at 2 p.m. in St. Peter's Cemetery, Ingonish Beach,
officiated by Rev. Dan MacDonald and under the direction of Fillmore &
Whitman Funeral Home.
Online condolences may be e-mailed to the family at
.

Clement 'Clem' Jackman, Little Pond
Born at North Sydney , Nova Scotia , Canada
It is with deep sadness that we announce the sudden passing of our dear
brother, uncle and friend, Clem Jackman, on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 in
Little Pond.
Born in North Sydney, he was the son of the late Clement and Sara (MacNeil)
Jackman. Clem was employed with C.N. Railway for many years. He was a
member of St. Joseph parish, North Sydney. He was an active member of the
Fr. William Kiely Council 5109 of the Knights of Columbus, North Sydney,
and a fourth degree member of the Fr. William B. MacLeod General Assembly.
He is survived by his three brothers, Terry (Carol) of North Sydney, Brian
(Karen) of Antigonish, and Adrian of Halifax; also by nieces, Terrilee
(Stephen) Robinson, Angela (Glen) Baker and nephews, Michael (Tracey)
Jackman, Jason (Lisa) Jackman.
Clem was predeceased by his companion, Sadie Gallivan.
Visitation for Clem will be Sunday, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. in the W.J. Dooley
Funeral Home, 107 Pleasant St., North Sydney. A funeral mass will take
place Monday, 2 p.m. from St. Joseph Church, with Rev. Jim Attwood,
officiating. Cremation to follow. Burial will take place in Holy Cross
Cemetery, North Sydney at a later date.
Memorial donations may be made to a charity of choice.
Members of The Knights of Columbus are asked to gather at the funeral home
for prayers, on Sunday evening at 7 p.m.
Online condolences may be sent to .

Mr. Joseph "Gerry" Leblanc
Card of Thanks - Leblanc
The family of Joseph "Gerry" Leblanc of Coxheath who died June 23, 2009,
sincerely expresses its gratitude to our friends and co-workers for their
many acts of kindness--messages of sympathy, offered condolences, and
visitation at T.W. Curry Parkview Chapel For those who sent food, flowers,
mass cards, charitable donations and shared in the funeral mass at Our Lady
of Fatima Church -- thank you! Your compassion and thoughtfulness will
always be remembered. We especially thank Dr. Mary Hutchison, the staff of
Theresa Terrace in The Northside Community Guest Home, Father Joe and
Father Mariadoss. Bless you all!
Claire Leblanc and children--Diane (Leblanc), Suzanne (heppard), Sandra
(Leblanc), Robert (Leblanc) and Mitch (Leblanc)

Annie 'Tootsie' LeMoine, Louisbourg
Born at Sydney , Nova Scotia , Canada
It is with great sadness and deep regret that we the family announce the
sudden passing of Annie LeMoine on Thursday, July 2, 2009, at home.
Born in Sydney, she was the daughter of the late John 'Jack' and Beatrice
(Lahey) Parsons.
Tootsie was a member of Stella Maris parish, Louisbourg and she was the
past president of the CWL. She enjoyed spending time with her family and
friends.
Tootsie is survived by the love her life, her loving husband of 56 years,
Montford; three daughters, Ann Kennedy (Mike), Vera LeMonie (Joe), Linda
Donovan, (Joe); five sons, Kim, Melvin, Timmy (Rayanne), Philip, and Wayne,
she is also survived by 14 grandchildren, several great-grandchildren; best
friend and sister-in-law, Claudette; as well as many nieces and nephews.
Besides her parents, she was predeceased by her siblings, Linda, Agnes,
Gladys, Johnny and Bobby.
Visitation will be held Sunday, July 5, 2009 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at
Stella Maris Parish, Louisbourg. Funeral mass will be 11 a.m. Monday July
6, 2009 at Stella Maris Church, Louisbourg, with Fr. Patrick O'Neil
officiating. Interment to follow in Stella Maris Church Cemetery,
Louisbourg.
Donations may be made to the Stella Maris Cemetery Fund or charity of one's
choice.
Online condolences may be sent to our webpage at www.chantfuneralhome.com.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction ofŠ

Duncan Roger MacKinnon
In Memoriam - MacKinnon
Duncan Roger MacKinnon of Baddeck who passed away June 23, 2008.
He is dearly missed by mother and father, she always sits by the phone on
Sunday and waits for a call from youi. Missed also by brothers, sister and
his kids, family and friends, we lov eyou and miss you so much. "Miss ya
brother. You're an angel watching over us."

Mello Nearing, Sydney
Born in 11/09/1930 at New Waterford , Nova Scotia , Canada
Our hearts are heavy as we announce the passing of Mel on Thursday, July 2,
2009. Mel passed away peacefully with his wife, Greta or as he liked to
call her "my sweetheart" by his side along with his two stepdaughters,
Penny Camus and Holly MacIntyre.
Mel fought his battle with Lewy Body Dementia with the bravery and courage
for which he was well known.
Mel was born on September 11, 1930, in New Waterford. He was the son of the
late David and Mary (MacIssac) Nearing.
He was a boxer in his early days and fought in Madison Square Garden. He
won 50 of his 54 amateur and pro boxing fights winning over half of them by
the KO route. He won the Maritime Flyweight Title in October 1947 and a
month later (November 1947) he won the Bantam Weight Title. Former manager
of the first Canadian boxing team to go to Havana, Cuba, he served as an
official referee and judge while there and refereed amateur boxing bouts
throughout the United States, Canada and Nova Scotia. He was instrumental
in establishing the first boxing club in Sydney for young boxers. In 1967
he was named boxing co-chairman to act as a consultant to the Cape Breton
Boxing Commission. In 1979, he was elected president of the Nova Scotia
Amateur Boxing Association (Cape Breton Branch).
In 1979, Mel was inducted into the Canadian Boxing Hall of Fame in Toronto,
Ont. and on May 26, 2007 Mel was inducted into the Cape Breton Sport Hall
of Fame in Sydney, N.S.
In 1945-46 while playing with New Waterford Strands, he and his teammates
won the Cape Breton and Provincial Juvenile Basketball Championships.
Mel was a Korean War veteran serving as a medical aide in the Canadian Army
from 1950-1954. He voluntarily signed up for a second tour of duty in
Korea. He was honourably discharged and awarded the Korea Medal and UNS
Medal. Mel was a member of Ashby, Legion Branch 138, and had the honour of
laying a wreath for the Korean veterans at Remembrance Day services.
Mel was a barber by trade and operated Mello's Barber Shop in Whitney Pier.
His sign said, "We cut everything but the prices". Mel also taught
barbering and hairstyling at Marconi Campus until his retirement.
In 1990 Mel received the human rights award for standing up for the rights
of negroes and also a certificate of merit from the correctional center for
outstanding services.
He was a valued member of Men's Cursillo and New Beginnings. Mel had a
beautiful voice and everyone loved to hear him sing "Danny Boy". He sang
with choirs and on Mass for Shut-ins.
Me was predeceased by his father and mother, David and Mary (MacIssac)
Nearing and by brothers, Cyril, Ernie, Mark and Michael (Vertie) and
sisters, Francie MacDougall, Colette Murphy, Blanche Boutilier and Clara
Murray. Mel was also predeceased by his first wife, Uhleen (MacPherson).
Mel is survived by sisters, Gladys (John) Prior, Gertie (George) Bourgeois
and Vera Nearing. He is also survived by sons, Kevin (Andrea), Ian (Nicole)
and Mark Nearing and by daughters, Anita Euteneier; son-in-law, Lawrence
Euteneier, Danette (Louis) Guibord, Paula Nearing, Carmie (Todd) Blevins,
Shauna (Morten) Loj, Meline (Brad) Hunter, Lauren (Jason) Scott. Also by
grandchildren, Maggie, Allie and Nico Euteneier, Annie and Zack Nearing,
Kiera, Danica and Jacob Guibord, Jack and Daisy Blevins, Isabella, Jonas
and Oscar Loj, Emily, William and Oliver Hunter, Brenan, Haylee and Ryan
Nearing, Lochlan and Raven Scott; step-granddaughter, Amanda Pearson;
step-grandson, Logan Scott and two great-grandchildren. Mel is also
survived by his wife and soulmate, Greta and by stepchildren, Blair (Ellen)
Gushue, April Conn; step son-in-law, Allan Conn, Holly MacIntyre; step
son-in-law, Tom MacIntyre, Brad Surette, Penny (Joel) Camus; eight
step-grandchildren, Michael Conn, Craig (Robin) Laurie, Stephen and Brian
Gushue, Rebekah and Ryan MacIntyre, Jeremy Camus and two great
step-grandsons, Brayden and Nicholas Gushue and great step-granddaughter,
Kameron Gushue.
As per Mel's request, there will be no visitation or funeral. Cremation
will take place and a celebration of Mel's life will take place at the
Horizon Achievement Centre, 780 Upper Prince St., Sydney, on Sunday, July
12, 2009 from 6-9 p.m. (wheelchair accessible).
Donations in Mel's memory may be made to Lewy Body Dementia for research
(Alzheimer Branch) or The Cove Guest Home.
Mel - To know him was to love him.
Condolences may be sent to the family at .

Mello David Nearing Memorial Service
As per the family's request, a memorial service for the late Mello
David Nearing will be held at St. Michael's Church, Union Highway on
Monday, July 6, 2009, at 10 a.m. with Rev. Doug MacDonald officiating.

John Perry, Sydney
Born at Little Lorraine , Nova Scotia , Canada
It is with deep sadness that we, the family, announce the sudden passing of
our wonderful father, loving grandfather, brother and friend, Johnny Perry
which occurred Thursday, July 2, 2009.
Johnny was born in Little Lorraine, he was the son of Mrs. Mary Bernadine
Perry, Sydney and the late Clarence Perry.
Johnny is survived by his loving companion, Bev Sibley, also the mother of
his children, Glenys Perry, son, Rob (Robin), daughter, Rose (Rene)
Steylen; brothers, Rufus (Sylvia), Bernie (Joan), Gary (Heather), Clarence
(Charlotte), Blaine (Susan) and Tommy; sisters, Thelma (Teddy) Baillie,
Patricia (Eddie) Bussey, Elaine (Gary) Carter, Doreen (Jimmy), Judy
(Johnny). He is also survived by his grandchildren, his pride and joy,
Rylan and Robert Perry, Adam, and "Grampy's Muffin" Holly Rae Steylen and
Delaine Maki; mother-in-law, Marie Warren; brothers-in-law, Bob Burke,
Leonard (Edith) Warren; sisters-in-law, Anne Perry, Roberta Perry and
Marion (Glenn) Maki as well as several nieces and nephews. He will be sadly
missed by Bev's family and grandchildren, Melissa, Christopher, Christina,
Megan, Landon, Tyler, and Cameron
Besides his father, he was predeceased by his sisters, Theresa Burke, and
Patricia in infancy.
Visitation will take place Monday, July 6, 2009 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. at
Stella Maris Church, Louisbourg. Funeral mass will be held 2 p.m. Tuesday,
July 7, 2009 at Stella Maris Church, Louisbourg, with Fr. Patrick O'Neil
officiating. Interment to follow in Stella Maris Church Cemetery, Clarks
Road.
Online condolences may be sent to our webpage at www.chantfuneralhome.com.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction Š

Elizabeth 'Betty' Stevens, Sydney
Born at Baddeck , Nova Scotia , Canada
Elizabeth Madeline Stevens, 50 of Eskasoni, passed away after a courageous
battle with cancer on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at the Cape Breton Regional
Hospital, Sydney.
Born in Baddeck, she was the daughter of Irene Elizabeth (Pierro) Googoo of
Waycobah and the late Peter John Googoo.
She was a member of Holy Family parish, Eskasoni.
Betty was a loving mother, grandmother and great friend to her brothers and
sisters. She is survived by her husband, Raymond; daughters, Chantella and
Shellena; sons, Raymond Jr. 'Ray J.'; Andrew Peter ' Ajay'; all of
Eskasoni; three grandchildren, Joden, Shawn and Tayler; sisters Jean
(Steve) MacLean, Orangedale; Karen (Mike) Doucette, Eskasoni; Muriel (late
Shane) Googoo, Waycobah ; brothers, Joe (Judy); Bryan (Colleen) and Byron
(Jolee), all of Waycobah.
Betty was predeceased by a daughter, Shellena Olivia Mae; a brother, John
Googoo and a sister, Mary, in infancy.
Visitation for Betty Stevens will take place at the Gabriel Centre,
Eskasoni on Sunday, July 5 after 7 p.m. A funeral mass will be celebrated
on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at Holy Family Church with Rev. Martin MacDougall
officiating. Interment in the parish cemetery.
Online condolences may be sent to or
www.mem.com.

Gerald Tonary
We the family of the late Gerald A. Tonary, would like to express our
sincere thanks to everyone who shared in our sorrow and loss of our father,
grandfather and friend .To those who sent flowers and food to our homes,
thank you. A special thanks to Leslie O'Connell and Susie Head for all your
help. All the hugs and prayers from everyone really helped us in our grief
and we are sincerely thankful. Dad had a hard struggle but thankfully had
lots of help. To his doctors Dr. Kodagoda, Dr Asim, Dr. Hussaim, Dr. Ahmed
and Dads special nurse Theresa McCarthy. To his palliative care doctors Dr.
Ritter, Dr. Gillis, Dr. D'Intino, Dr. Azer and Beth Latham for your
guidance and comforting words will never be forgotten. To the nurses of the
Cancer Care Center, the VON nurses and the nurses of 4th floor An Cala
Pallative Care Unit, your gentle hand, care and sense of humor for our
father was unbelievable, you made him as well as ourselves feel safe and
ready when it was time for him to go. To everyone, your condolences,
stories of dad and the donations that were made in Dads name we are
genuinely thankful. You will always be remembered in our thoughts and
prayers.
Daughters Kathleen, Geraldine, Shannon, & Lonita and Families. Companion
Anita Bishop and Families. Brothers Fr. Tom MacNeil, Harold Tonary Funeral
Thank You
A funeral mass in celebration of life for Gerald A. Tonary was held
Wednesday April 2nd, 2009 at the Parish of St. Leonards, St Michael's
Church. To Basil R. McGillivary and staff of McGillivary Funeral Home,
thanks you for your professionalism and guidance. to Father Doug MacDonald
, thank you for your visit to Dads home and allowing us to share stories of
him.To Dads brother Father Tom, your strength in God during this difficult
time was shown throughout the mass, especially during the Homily, it was
beautiful and fitting. To the pallbearers, Scott Graham, Allan O'Connell,
Brian MacSween, Michael White, Weldon Bishop and Angus Clark.To the
lectures, Kaye Stephenson, Beverly White and Sean Casey, thank you for
being part of the service. To the Priests who joined Fr. Tom on the
alter,Fr. Doucette, Fr. MacNeil, Fr. MacLeod, Fr. MacPherson, thank you for
being there for Uncle Tom. To the choir ,the honor guards, KOC 4th degree,
and Dads dart league, thank you. Finally the Ladies Aux. of the KOC, thank
you for the beautiful lunch following the mass at the "Rooms"
The Family

Enid Vassallo, Sarnia
Born at Glace Bay , Nova Scotia , Canada
Peacefully on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at Bluewater Health Mitton Street
Site, Enid Vassallo, age 55 of Sarnia, formerly of Glace Bay, Cape Breton,
Nova Scotia. Beloved daughter of Betty Metcalfe and John Vassallo. Enid is
survived by many aunts, uncles and cousins, too numerous to name. Enid
worked for Goodwill Industries for over 25 years. Family and friends will
be received on Sunday, July 5, 2009 from 2-4 p.m. at Smith Funeral Home,
1576 London Line, Sarnia. A memorial service will be held on Monday, July
6, 2009 at 1 p.m. at Smith Funeral Home, Sarnia. Sympathy may be expressed
through donations to the Sarnia Humane Society. Memories and condolences
may be sent online at www.smithfuneralhome.ca.

Yvonne R. (O'Connell) Santucci 82, Sun Lakes, Ariz.
Yvonne R. (O'Connell) Santucci, 82, of Sun Lakes, Ariz., passed away
on June 27, 2009.

Formerly of New Waterford, N.S., Yvonne graduated from Mt. Carmel High
School and attended Mount. St. Bernard College in Antigonish, N.S.
Following college she moved to the United States where she resided the
rest of her life.

She was an avid bridge player and loved animals. She attended mass
daily at St. Steven's in Phoenix, Ariz. She was loving, compassionate
and had quiet dignity even in the most challenging circumstances. She
is loved and will be missed by everyone that knew her.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Alexander and Susannah
O'Connell and brother, Michael.

She is survived by her loving husband of 53 years, Alfred; their
children, Alex (Michelle), Chandler, Ariz., and Dave (Carrie),
Spokane, Wash.; and her sister, Susie Dixon, New Waterford, N.S.,
Canada. Numerous cousins, nieces and nephews also survive.

The service was held at St. Steven's Catholic Church in Sun Lakes,
Ariz., June 30, 2009.

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to Arizona Humane
Society or the American Stroke Association.

Clarence W. and Emma Bowering Memorial/Burial Service
There will be a memorial/burial service held for Clarence W. and Emma
M. (Odell) Bowering, who both passed in Ontario, and their ashes are
being laid to rest at Forest Haven Memorial Gardens, Sydney-Glace Bay
Highway, at 11 a.m., July 7, 2009.

There will be a small service followed by a reception at St. Mary's
Anglican Church, Glace Bay.

Marjorie Mae Hart Margaree Centre

It is with deep sadness that the family of Marjorie Hart, a resident
of Margaree Centre and Alderwood Rest Home in Baddeck, announce her
passing at Victoria County Memorial Hospital on Tuesday, June 30,
2009, at the age of 93.

Born in Newton Centre, Mass., U.S.A., she was the daughter of the late
David and Christy (MacAulay) Carmichael.

She was a member of Wilson United Church, where she was a valued choir
and UCW member. She was a member of the N.E. Margaree Senior Citizens
Club.

She was predeceased by her husband, Elwood, sister, Lillian, brother,
Kenneth and son-in-law, Gord.

She is survived by her son, Edsel (Carol); daughters, Kaye Isenor and
Evelyn (Baxter) Ingraham; sister, Matilda Ingraham; brothers, John
Carmichael and Murdoch (Margaret) Carmichael; and brother-in-law,
Emery Hart.

She is also survived by grandchildren, Kendra, Scott (Susie), Tracy,
Erland (Mary) and Jared and great-grandchildren, Katie, Cameron,
Dustin, Kennedy and Reid; and a number of nieces and nephews.

She devoted her life to being a loving and caring wife and mother for
which she will be cherished and remembered.

As a resident of Alderwood Rest Home, she established many loving
relationships with fellow residents and the wonderful, caring staff.

Family appreciation to Alderwood and to Victoria County Memorial
Hospital doctors and nurses, for the care given to mom.

Visitation from 2-9 p.m., Saturday, July 11, 2009, and funeral service
Sunday, July 12 at Wilson United Church, Margaree Centre, with Rev.
Barb Blois-MacNaughton officiating. Burial in Congregational Cemetery,
Margaree Centre.

Memorial donations may be made to Wilson United Church, Alderwood Rest
Home or charity of choice.

Funeral arrangements are under the direction of MacAskill Funeral
Home, Baddeck.

Sr. Miriam Carmelita Lewis 93, Antigonish
Sr. Miriam Carmelita Lewis, 93, a Sister of St. Martha of Antigonish,
died at St. Martha's Regional Hospital, Antigonish, on Thursday, July
2, 2009, in the 70th year of her religious life.

Born in Passchendale, Cape Breton, N.S., she was one of 10 children of
the late Seymour and Mary (Beaton) Lewis.

Sister entered the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Martha on Sept.
8, 1937, pronounced her first vows on Aug. 15, 1939 and her perpetual
profession of vows on Aug. 15, 1943.

After her profession of vows, Sister spent most of her years
ministering in dietary services in institutions operated by the
congregation in Nova Scotia. Sr. Carmelita served at Bethany, St.
Martha's Hospital, St. Martha's Convent on St. Francis Xavier
University campus, all in Antigonish, St. Joseph's Hospital, Glace
Bay, Holy Heart Seminary in Halifax, and Little Flower Institute in
Sydney. In Ontario, she served at Pius X Seminary in Ottawa and St.
Augustine's Seminary, Scarborough.

Sr. Carmelita is survived by a brother, Daniel Joseph, Ontario; and
several nieces and nephews.

Besides her parents, she was predeceased by sisters, Florence Mahoney,
Jessie Livingstone, Mary Howlett, Susan Hanrahan, Mary Jessie Lewis
and brothers, John Joseph, Daniel Archie and John Archie.

The remains will be resting at Bethany, beginning Sunday, July 5,
2009, at 1:15 p.m., where a Celebration of Vigil will be held on the
same evening at 7:30 p.m. Liturgy of Christian Burial will take place
on Monday, July 6, 2009, at 2 p.m. in Bethany Chapel.

Arrangements are under the direction of C.L. Curry Funeral Services of
Antigonish.

Cape Breton Deaths courtesy of CBGHA http://www.cbgha.org

This thread: