NS-CAPE-BRETON-L Archives

Archiver > NS-CAPE-BRETON > 2013-01 > 1358769584

From: Carol MacLean <>
Subject: [NS-CB] Cape Breton Deaths January 21, 2013 Monday
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 03:59:44 -0800

Cape Breton Deaths courtesy of CAPE BRETON GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
VISIT OUR WEBSITE - <http://www.cbgen.org/>www.cbgen.org NEW
MEMBERS WELCOME

Cape Breton Deaths January 21, 2013 Monday

There are 10 obituaries posted for today

Nepean Clarke MacDougall
Brendon Lewis Yazer
Charles Broderick, B.A. LLB, Q.C.
Helen Roslind (Wazik) Stevens
Melanie MacLennan Fraser
Mamie Margaret (Powell) McBride
Mary H. McKeegan
Brenda Beckett, SRN
Charles Edward MacNeil
Myles Bernard 'Bernie' Gillis

Nepean Clarke MacDougall

Born In: Sydney

Passed on: January 18th, 2013

Nepean Clarke MacDougall, 90, passed gently away on Jan. 18, 2013, at
the Cape Breton Regional Hospital in Sydney, N.S.
He was born Aug. 31, in Sydney to Peter William and Bessie Georgina MacDougall.
Dad grew up in the north end of Sydney during the 1920s. While this
era did not offer much financial comfort for most, Dad cherished the
richness he experienced in a life of north end simplicity shared with
his parents, eight siblings and best friend Claude Huntley. As a man
of responsibility, he joined the Sydney steel plant in his late teens
to help provide for his family. Dad fondly recalled many moments of
lunchtime connection with his own father who managed the plant's
storeroom at that time.
In 1942, Dad signed up to serve in the Second World War. After
completing his prerequisite training in Canada, he was deployed
overseas as a soldier of the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick
Hussars Armored Division. His service began as a co-driver in the
division's Sherman tank; however the realities of frontline combat
would soon require him to step into the official role of tank driver.
For three years of active duty, moving from Italy to southern France
and finally to Holland, Dad led the way always with a heartfelt
intention to do the right thing. Only those who have served in combat
can truly understand the fearless purpose of a soldier's heart. After
the war, Dad returned home to his family and job at the steel plant
and began active service for many years in the Branch 12 Legion.
In September of 1952, Dad married the lady of his life, Lorraine May
Munro in Whycocomagh, N.S. During their 57-year marriage, Dad taught
us once again about values of love, compassion and doing the right
thing by supporting our Mom through a very difficult battle of
multiple sclerosis leaving her wheelchair bound for over 42 years. In
their later years together, Mom and Dad enjoyed many evenings of
blissful company with others on the patio of the Cove Guest Home
where Mom resided. Their regular evening dates earned them a title of
"The Lovers" appointed by those who respected their infinite mutual
devotion.
Dad is survived by his three children; Brenda Prince (Jim), Graham
MacDougall (Bernadette), Judy MacDougall (Valerie), all residing in
Sydney, N.S. He is also survived by four grandchildren, Laura, Mark,
Ian and Eric, and Daisy Mae, his canine sweetheart. His remaining
Toronto, Graham MacDougall (Gao) of Toronto; and many loving nieces
and nephews will miss his tender nature, his adorable wit and
infinite love to them all.
Dad was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, his sisters,
Elsie MacDougall and Ruth Fraser, brothers, Robert MacDougall, Ralph
MacDougall and Gordon MacDougall and his best friend and confidante
for over 80 years, Claude Huntley.
Dad's stories and the example of his life taught us about the
simplicity of values based living. Love, lead in your own way, step
up, be compassionate and be responsible by serving in whatever way
life asks you to do in this moment. He was and remains to be an
honorable and gentle spirit in our universe. We will meet again, our
hero Dad.
A celebration of Dad's life will be held at the Sydney River United
Protestant Church at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23. The family will be
greeting friends and relatives after the service in the church hall
downstairs. Interment to follow at a later date.
In lieu of flowers the family requests memorial donations be made to
Branch 12 Legion in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
Condolences may be sent to www.sydneymemorialchapel.com or emailed to
.

Brendon Lewis Yazer

Born In: Sydney

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

The family of Brendon Lewis Yazer announces his passing on Saturday,
Jan. 19, 2013, at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital.
Brendon was born in 1946, in North Sydney, N.S., the son of Jack and
Zelda (Gillman) Yazer.
After graduating high school, Brendon completed his bachelor of arts
at Dalhousie University. He began his career at Tanner Chrysler in
Halifax. Returning to Cape Breton, he quickly distinguished himself
as an honest and reputable leader in the business community. He
opened one of the first Wendy's restaurants in Canada, owned and
operated B. Yazer Pontiac as one of the youngest GM dealers in the
country, and went on to run his own real estate company, Yazer Realty.
Brendon was also a community leader and was passionate about many
interests and hobbies. He toured New England and the Maritime
provinces with the stunt drivers group Hell Drivers and was at one
time well-known figure in the Cape Breton drag racing scene. He was a
dedicated volunteer with the 21st Annual HOG Rally and the Hoka Hey
Motorcycle Challenge in 2011 and was an active member of the Cape
Breton HOG Chapter 9044. He cared deeply about animals and was a
founding member of the Cape Breton SPCA. He mentored youth in the
community, was a supporter of Big Brothers & Big Sisters, and was an
integral part of the Youth Speaks Up program.
Most of all, Brendon had love and devotion for all of his family and friends.
Brendon is survived by his father, Jack; son, Jonathan; brother,
Harold (Myrna); sisters, Karin (Tony) and Celia; first wife, Beverley
(Rod), and second wife, Michelle; nieces and nephews, Murray (Julie),
Joanne, Joseph, Erika (Ryan), David, Michael and Kyle; grandnephew,
Alex and grandniece, Miriam; and his ever faithful companion, Max.
Brendon was predeceased by his mother, Zelda.
A funeral service will be held at 2:30 p.m., Monday, Jan. 21 at
Sydney Memorial Chapel. A reception will be held from 2-5 p.m. at
Cambridge Suites in the Miller Boardroom on Tuesday, Jan. 22.
Donations may be made to Cape Breton Cancer Centre, c/o Cape Breton
Regional Hospital Foundation, 1482 George St., Sydney, N.S., B1P 1P3,
or to the charity of your choice.
The family would like to thank Dr. Ron MacCormick, Dr. Elwood
MacMullin, Dr. Glen Worth, Dr. Erika Yazer, the staff of the Cape
Breton Cancer Centre, and the staff at the ICU. The family would also
like to thank Greg and Mary Lou Muise, Frankie Campbell, Jimmy
MacDonald, Tom and Marie Hall, Nadine Sampson, David P. Stephens, and
all of Brendon's many friends in the community.
Condolences may be sent to www.sydneymemorialchapel.com or emailed to
.

Charles Broderick, B.A. LLB, Q.C.

Born In: Glace Bay
Born: January 20th, 1950

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

I have an unguarded optimism that my family is saddened to announce
what is to me my untimely passing on Jan. 19, 2013.
I am a child of the Sterling area of Glace Bay where I learned many
life lessons. One of the most important was that racial prejudice
just didn't make sense.
I was blessed to have had my mother, Wilma Broderick (Sampson), as my
guide and friend for many years. She taught me how to enjoy life with
very little and to share life when blessed with abundance.
I am survived by my sister, Patricia Broderick, and brothers, Billy
(Florence) and Stan (Buellah). I sigh for the goodness they possess
that I will not experience again.
Throughout my life I have had friends who have taught me so much and
shared so much, but I am blessed that my greatest teacher and best
friend is my wife Elizabeth Adelaide (my Bethy) Broderick. She had
taught me to walk the path of life with all of its influences and yet
remember who I am. I can enjoy a day without the sun but not without
her.
My daughter Shannon Bragg (Danny) you are my concept of perfection, a
gift I have spent my life trying to prove that I deserved. My son Dr.
Neil McIntyre (Megan) you sir are a true man, a good man who has made
me so proud ... please share your knowledge with others. My
grandchildren, Hailey Bragg, three years old and a true thief of
hearts. Her simplistic words offer a profound key to the universe. My
God, I shall miss what I know will be one hell of a ride. Jackson
McIntyre the very best 10-month-old walker in the world, now 20
months old. He ponders things before he acts to the exclusion of all
distractions. Let no one get between him and his life ... only his
Grandma would be tolerated.
I am also survived by Beth's brothers and sister Helen Tramontin
'Little Helen', Jamie MacKinnon (Ann), Frank MacKinnon (Lynn), Marga
Morrissey (Ray). Their parents Frank and Bess MacKinnon welcomed me
into their family and I was enriched by their love and caring. I will
miss the laughter and my great friendship with our nephew John Andrew
McNeil and his Valerie.
Should you ever think of me, then please at that time do a kindness
for someone. It is the little things that have always made the
difference.
Thank you everyone. Now I must say that cremation has taken place - a
proper retribution on what ended my life.
Services will be held at the Savoy Theater, Glace Bay, N.S., on
Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 3 p.m. A Masonic prayer service will be
conducted by the St. Andrew's Lodge 7 with a luncheon to follow.
Interment in Forest Haven Memorial Gardens.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction of McLellan Brothers
Funeral Home, 3183 Plummer Ave., New Waterford, 862-7500.
To send online condolences to the family go to www.mclellanfuneralhome.com.

Helen Roslind (Wazik) Stevens

Born In: Sydney
Born: May 30th, 1928

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we, the family of
Helen Stevens (Wazik), announce her peaceful passing on Saturday,
Jan. 19, 2013, at home, following a short and courageous battle with
cancer.
Born in Sydney, Helen is survived by her daughters, Carol MacKinnon,
Brenda (Gerard McGrath), Kathy Robertson and Connie (Lonnie Howe);
two sisters, Liz Cowdell and Bernice Palachuk, Ontario. Nanny also
leaves behind 10 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
Helen was predeceased by her husband, John, sons, Thomas and Johnnie,
a sister, Mary Malowney and a special companion for many years, Harry
Bagnell.
Mom owned a number of businesses throughout her years and was the
original owner of a well-known pizza and convenience store in Mira,
Charlie Brown's Pizza. Mom was a member and volunteer of the
Pensioners Club and Club 55. She was an avid and one-of-a-kind
seamstress, who created and designed many beautiful dresses and coat
sets for many children near and far. There was no piece of material
that mom would ever waste.
As her years passed, many were spent travelling the world and living
life to the fullest. Her special place to travel was to Hawaii. Mom
loved to line dance, darts, shuffle board, bowl and too many other
activities to mention. Anyone who played tarabish knew, if there was
a game, Helen would be there, as she was an avid player.
Saturday mornings, you would be sure to find mom doing her crossword
puzzle from the Cape Breton Post and during the weekdays she would
never miss her favourite shows, "Price Is Right" or her "Wheel of
Fortune." We almost always had to make appointments to visit as she
was never idle. Her favourite quote was "no can do" from the
retirement commercial.
There will be a private family service at a later date. Interment
will take place at Resurrection Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to a charity of your choice.
Condolences can be sent to the family at www.sydneymemorialchapel.ca.
Those who have lived a good life do not fear death, but meet it
calmly, and even long for it in the face of great suffering.

Melanie MacLennan Fraser

Born In: Millville, Canada

Passed on: January 18th, 2013

We regret to announce the peaceful passing of Melanie MacLennan
Fraser, 45, on Jan. 18, 2013, after a lengthy illness.
Melanie was the eldest child of the late Melvin and Eldene
(MacLellan) MacLennan of Millville.
Melanie leaves behind her husband, Wm. 'Bill', eldest son Ian and
twins Abby and Colin, at home. Also remaining are her brother Charles
(Crystal) and nephew Lawson; sister Deanne and niece Tiffany;
sister-in-law Lisa (Andrew) Mason and niece Andie, Bradford, Ont.;
mother and father-in-law William and Mary Fraser of South Bar; as
well as many uncles, aunt and cousins.
An occupational therapist by profession, Melanie was a graduate of
Cape Breton University (BSc 1988) and the University of Western
Ontario (BScOT 1991). Well respected by her peers and loved by the
clients she served, she set the bar high in terms of compassion and
professionalism.
A tremendously positive person, Melanie possessed an amazing ability
to see good in everyone she met and as a result she amassed an
incredible and diverse group that was proud to be her friend.
Prior to her illness Melanie was an avid volunteer serving as a
President of the Cape Breton Chapter of the Brain Injury Association
of Nova Scotia and as the longtime treasurer of the Seton Elementary
School Parent Teacher Advisory Council.
Above all, Melanie was devoted to her children, marshalling an
unbelievable will and spirit to see them get a good start in life
despite an illness that permeated but didn't dominate her last 5.5
years.
Visitation for Melanie will be 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, in the W.J.
Dooley Funeral Home, 107 Pleasant St., North Sydney. A funeral
service will be held 10 a.m. Wednesday, at St. John United Church,
Big Bras d'Or, with Diane Kempt DLM officiating. Burial will take
place in Lakeside Cemetery, North Sydney, at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the An Cala
Palliative Care unit of the Cape Breton Regional Hospital.
Online condolences may be sent to www.wjdooley.com

Mamie Margaret (Powell) McBride

Born In: Whitney Pier
Born: May 7th, 1920

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

It is with deepest and profound sadness that we announce the passing
of our dear mother, grandmother, sister, aunt and friend. Mamie was
born and raised in Whitney Pier and in her mid-20s moved and lived in
Toronto for a short period where she met her husband. They returned
to her beloved hometown, where they raised their family.
She was predeceased by her husband, Ephriam Alexander, mother, Leah
(Rockwood), father, Joseph, five brothers, Stanley (Helen), Arthur
(Pearl), Carl (Theresa), Walter and Ernest, two sisters, Georgina and
Gladys.
She is survived and sadly missed by her sister, Eleanor (Cedric
Jones); eight children, Timothy (Louise), Robert (Fily), Ernest
(Louise), Leah (Bill), Carl, Janet (Harry), Margaret (Daniel) and Roy
(Giselle); and nine grandchildren, Clint, Ryan, Ashley, Michele,
Alison, Duncan, Devon, Stephanie, Jessica and sisters-in-law, nieces
and nephews.
Mamie lived a full life loving and caring for her family. She was a
member of Trinity United Church and an active member of the UCW.
Everyone who knew her marveled at her strength and the ability to see
the best in everyone. She was affectionately known as 'Nanny.'
Another angel has received her wings.
Special thanks to her personal physician Dr. Greg Myatt.
Visitation will be held Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013, from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m.
at Sydney Memorial Chapel. Funeral service will take place Wednesday,
11 a.m. at Trinity United Church, Whitney Pier, with Rev. Duncan
Roach officiating. Interment will take place at Eastmount Cemetery at
a later date.
Memorials may be made to the Cape Breton Regional Hospital
Foundation, Palliative Care Unit or charity of choice.
Condolences may be sent to the family at www.sydneymemorialchapel.ca
or email .

Mary H. McKeegan

Born In: New Waterford

Passed on: January 18th, 2013

It is with great sadness the family of Mary McKeegan announce her
passing on Jan. 18, 2013, at the QE II, Halifax, surrounded by her
family.
Born in New Waterford, she was the daughter of the late Edward and
Hazel (Garland) Milley.
Mary was a homemaker and worked for several families as housekeeper.
She belonged to Saint James Anglican Church, Halifax, and was a choir
member. She enjoyed bingo, bowled on a team with people in her
complex, was a beautiful baker, had such a good personality and
everyone who knew her loved her.
Mary is survived by her sisters, Louise Dean (Lou) and Jean Sampson,
several nieces and nephews.
Besides her parents, she was predeceased by her husband, Ron
McKeegan, brother, Joe, sisters, Violet, Evelyn, Clara and Jessie.
Respecting her wishes, there will be no visitation. Cremation has
taken place and a graveside service will be held Thursday, Jan. 24 at
2 p.m. in Union Grove Cemetery, Scotchtown, with Rev. Vernon Reid
officiating.
Funeral arrangements are under the direction of McLellan Brothers
Funeral Home, 3183 Plummer Ave., New Waterford, 862-7500.
To send online condolences go to www.mclellanfuneralhome.com.

Brenda Beckett, SRN

Born In: Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Born: August 3rd, 1931

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

This weekend marked the passing of the vibrant and caring Brenda Beckett.
Born in Chesterfield, U.K., she moved to Cape Breton, Dec. 18, 1967,
where she has since been an active member of the community.
She leaves behind so much of herself in her husband, the love of her
life, Brian; her sister, Susan Wroe; her three adult children, Sally
(Angus) Capstick, Andrew (Wendy) Beckett and Michael Beckett; and her
seven precious grandchildren, Megan, Matthew, Douglas and Kyle
Capstick and Kayleigh, Brian and Christian Beckett. Brenda will be
remembered fondly for her wonderful sense of humour and her giving
soul.
"If there is another world, she lives in bliss;
If there is none, she made the best of this."
Cremation has taken place.
Tributes in Brenda's memory may be made to the Cape Breton Regional
Hospital Foundation.
Online condolences may be sent to our web page www.chantfuneralhome.com.

Charles Edward MacNeil

Born In: Ottawa Brook
Born: May 27th, 1930

Passed on: January 19th, 2013

It is with great sadness today, we say goodbye to our respected
brother, uncle and friend 'Charlie' at the Victoria County Memorial
Hospital in Baddeck on Jan. 19, 2013.
Charlie passed away with family members by his side following a
courageous battle with cancer.
Born in Ottawa Brook, May 27, 1930, he was the son of the late Mary
Agnes (MacNeil) and Jim Alex MacNeil.
Charlie left home at an early age in search for work which took him
to Ontario and on to British Columbia, where lasting friendships were
made and the many cherished memories which he shared with us through
his stories. In 1969 he returned home to help run the family farm
proudly driving his new Dodge Dart.
He was employed part-time on the C. Monty MacMillan ferry in Iona and
also on the snowplow in the area until illness prevented him from
working. He took great pride in the farm and spent countless hours
cutting the grass. He spoke often about our family reunion in 2006
and how pleased he was about the number of family members that came
out to celebrate his 80th birthday in 2010.
In his pastime he enjoyed playing cards especially cribbage and
auction, doing daily crosswords and was quite the avid dart and chess
player.
Charlie is survived by sisters, Theresa Butts, Toronto, Catherine
Campbell, Grand Mira, Katie (Art) Ley, Fredericton; brother, John
Sidney (Mary) MacNeil, Westmount; sisters-in-law, Margie MacNeil,
Westmount, and Marguerite MacNeil, MacKinnon's Harbour. Also
surviving are many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.
He was predeceased by brothers, Michael James, Joseph Pius, John
Archie, Duncan, Jimmy and a brother John in infancy, brothers-in-law,
Alex Campbell and Bill Butts, sister-in-law, Margaret (MacCluskey)
MacNeil.
Charlie's family are honouring his wishes. There will be no
visitation or service. Cremation will take place under the care of
MacAskill's Funeral Home, Baddeck. Private family interment in Sacred
Heart Cemetary, MacKinnon's Harbour.
Donations in Charlie's memory may be made to the Cape Breton Cancer
Patient Fund or the IWK Health Care Foundation which he faithfully
supported.
Charlie had a phrase (toodle do) that he was known to use when he was
on the way out the door. To you Charlie, from your family (toodle do)
be at peace.

Myles Bernard 'Bernie' Gillis

Born In: Boston
Born: March 25th, 1932

Passed on: January 11th, 2013

Myles Bernard 'Bernie' Gillis , 80, died unexpectedly in St.
Petersburg, Florida, on Jan. 11, 2013.
Born in Boston, March 25, 1932, he spent most of his life in Nova Scotia.
Bernie worked for Beneficial Finance for about 30 years. He was
active in his community, coaching minor hockey, volunteering with the
Kinsmen and K-40 Clubs, curling, and participating in the life of his
church. Family vacations culminated in an epic five-week camping road
trip, all the way to California and back. In his later years, Bernie
enjoyed the life of a snowbird, spending his winters in sunny Florida
with his loving wife Evelyn and many good friends, returning to
Dartmouth every summer. He continued to remember good neighbours from
the Chappell Street days and always returned to Antigonish to spend
time with family and life-long friends. He loved to meet and share
stories and histories with people. He was devoted to his family.
Left to grieve are his wife, Evelyn (White) Gillis; daughter, Susan
Wood (Roderick Wood) and granddaughters, Mary and Kathryn Wood,
Edmonton, Alta.; daughter, Kathryn Gillis (Laurence Coogan),
Victoria, B.C.; son, Stephen Gillis (Lea Gomar), Dartmouth, N.S.;
stepson, Peter White, Halifax, N.S. and his children, Nicola (White)
Gaudet (Chris Gaudet), Edmonton, Alta., and Danielle White, Halifax,
N.S.; and stepdaughter, Beverley (White) Easton, Sackville, N.S. and
her children, Adrian Easton (Amy Stone), Bedford, N.S., Tiffany
Easton (Cameron Robertson), Adelaide, Australia, and Melanie Easton,
Toronto, Ont. He is also survived by his brothers, Joseph Stewart
(Patricia Stewart), Lanark, Antigonish County, N.S., William Durant
(Paulette Durant), Sackville, N.B.; sisters, Judy Grace (Everett
Grace), William's Point, N.S., and Marilyn Nicodemus (James
Nicodemus), Chelsford, MA; sisters-in-law, Joan Gillis, Halifax,
N.S., and Paula Gagnon, Dartmouth, N.S.; and many nieces and nephews,
including those raised in Nova Scotia, John Michael Gillis (Jennifer
Delahaye), Amy Elizabeth Gillis (Ted Farquhar), Rudy Stewart (Robina
Stewart), Stephen Stewart (Elia Anoia), Jason Stewart, Michelle
(Gagnon) Steele (Norman Steele), Jennifer Gagnon (Dean Keel), Victor
Gagnon (Sandra Gagnon) and Paul Gagnon.
He was predeceased by his parents, Mary Josephine (McDaniel) and
Michael Gillis, late of Lanark, Antigonish County, N.S. the mother of
his children, Marilyn (Pellerin) Atkinson and his brothers William
Gillis and Albert Gagnon.
Visitation will be held Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013, from 2-4 and 7-9
p.m. at Atlantic Funeral Homes, 771 Main St., Dartmouth, N.S. The
funeral mass, followed by a reception, will be held Thursday, Jan.
24, 2013, at 11 a.m. at Saint Thomas More Church, 15 Caledonia Rd.,
Dartmouth, N.S.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Society of
Saint Vincent de Paul or the charity of your choice.

This thread: