NY-IRISH-L Archives

Archiver > NY-IRISH > 2007-02 > 1171311376

From: Jim Garrity <>
Subject: Re: [NY-IRISH] Old St. Patrick's Cemetery on East 11th Street NYC
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:16:16 -0500

Hello, Folks....

In preparation for the establishment of a Museum of History at New York City's First Roman Catholic Cathedral, I have been involved in a research project at Saint Patrick's Old
Cathedral, and I can probably answer a couple of questions that have been asked here in the last few days.

The cemetery that has been mentioned on this list is the "annex" burial place of the churchyard cemetery surrounding the old cathedral on the north and south sides of the
building.

This churchyard cemetery (which is still in existence) was declared "full" in 1834, and no new burial plots were available after then---this posed a problem for the Diocese of
New York, because this churchyard cemetery was the official Diocesan burial ground for Roman Catholics in those days.

As a result, the Trustees of the Cathedral purchased a piece of land between Eleventh and Twelfh Streets, and between First Avenue and Avenue A--this land became the "new"
Catholic burial ground in 1834. It was sometimes called the Eleventh Street Cemetery, but in the official New York City death liber listings, it usually was called "St.
Patrick's Cemetery", just like its predecessor at Mott and Mulberry Streets.

The "Eleventh Street Cemetery" was in full, everyday operation until 1848, when Calvary Cemetery opened in Queens County. According to an article written by Archbishop Michael
Augustine Corrigan in "Historical Records and Studies" (published by the United States Catholic Historical Society in the late 1800's), the Eleventh Street Cemetery became the
final resting place for over forty-one thousand Catholics in its relatively short life as an active cemetery.

Burials did take place in the Eleventh Street grounds after 1848, however--I have found newspaper obits for people buried there as late as 1853 or so. Also, if there was an
existing family plot in Eleventh Street, (a place where a prior family member was interred) it was possible for other members of that family to be buried at Eleventh Street
after Calvary was opened.

Incidentally, Pierre Toussaint and family were originally buried in the churchyard cemetery between Mott and Mulberry Streets--he was not buried at Eleventh Street.

When the time came for the contents of the Eleventh Street Cemetery to be, in effect, "moved" to Calvary Cemetery, there were (it was estimated at that time) between three to
five thousand bodies removed to Section 4B of Old Calvary Cemetery.

Considering Archbishop Corrigan's article, it raises an interesting question--what happened to the remains of the rest of the forty-one thousand people who were buried at
Eleventh Street? Could they still be resting there at the old cemetery site?

Thank you,

Jim Garrity