NY-RYAN-L Archives

Archiver > NY-RYAN > 1998-01 > 0883765673

From: Carol Frazier< >
Subject: Ryans, but not in NY
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:27:53 -0800

Hello, all,

My Ryans were in the US prior to the Rev. war. I have James Ryan b. 25 Nov
1757 in Guilford Co. NC., m. to Elinor McCominskey (or a variation of that
spelling) on 30 Mar 1772, and d. 22 Mar 1841 in Cumberland Co. IL. He had
at least four children, William, Edward, Sarah, and Elinor (Eleanor); these
four children are listed in Wayne Co. KY 10 May 1896 regarding the estate
of their grandfather, Daniel McComiskey.

I have a published familiy history that states Jeames Ryan was from VA but
served in the North Carolina Continental Troops and also in the eleventh
anf fifteeth Virginia Troops. His pension serial number is S-32501. He
left KY about 1815; on a Wayne Co 1815 tax list he is mentioned that he
had "removed over OHIO". Apparently he instead moved to Crawford Co. IL
and then to Coles Co. IL. He is buried in what is now Cumberland Co. IL.
His son William was born 2 Aug 1788 and m. Elizabeth "Betsy" Gill on 12
May 1818 in KY. William and Betsy had at least 5 children, Milton Gill
Ryan, b. KY, Rebecca C. Ryan b. 25 Nov 1822 Crawford Co, IL and Manerva,
Martha J. and Sarah E., all probably b. IL. Wm. died in 1858. His
daughter Rebecca Ryan m. William Neal in Nov. 1840. Descendants of these
Neal and Ryan families are supposedly still living in the Coles and
Cumberland Co. IL area, but I have not contacted any of them yet.

I hope someone is searching this old family. I would be delighted to hear
from anyone with information or knowledge of others researching old Ryan
families.

Carol

Carol Frazier
15625 Curtis Circle